Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 08-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default Which fuel?

hi guys, just a quick question. i'm getting a 05 LS focus for my inlaws so have been doing a bit of research on it and apparently its meant to use 95RON petrol! is this critical? will it be ok to run on 91RON? i wasn't aware of this and i know the inlaws won't be too pleased to have to use the premium fuel (extra cost).

prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

I would recommend 98 RON fuel. It is just a far superior fuel, and at the end of the day, it doesn't affect the hip pocket that much.

But, the oldies are probably tight, so I'd just say it uses less fuel and it works out about even in cost. It probably doesn't affect the consumption as much as that, but they won't know that.

And to be honest, they state 95 for a reason, so I wouldn't recommend cheaping out on the juice, and it's worth the outlay IMHO.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordbaghia
I would recommend 98 RON fuel. It is just a far superior fuel, and at the end of the day, it doesn't affect the hip pocket that much.

But, the oldies are probably tight, so I'd just say it uses less fuel and it works out about even in cost. It probably doesn't affect the consumption as much as that, but they won't know that.

And to be honest, they state 95 for a reason, so I wouldn't recommend cheaping out on the juice, and it's worth the outlay IMHO.
do you own a focus?? are you familiar with how old people think??

i'm assuming these cars have knock sensors, so running with 4RON less would hardly kill the engine. it may not develop the full 107kw on 91, but believe it or not, there are a lot of people out there that care very little for the power of a car.

are there any focus owners out there that run the car on 91?
Old 08-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mum runs her 04 on 91 and hasn't had any issues
Old 08-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

not sure on the difference in engines but the 04 focus is only rated as 91RON.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
DragonMesh

it can be done but you will get more outta the car if its on 95 including more km's per tank works out better value. but hey im not old...
DragonMesh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if it is the LS, or LT model (im thinking ls from the year) then it should be perfectly fine running on 91, our focus sometimes runs on it, mum doesnt really notice a difference.
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Fine, just trying to help, only managed a servo for 8 years. Suit yourself, but I'm sure they don't state 95 for kicks.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #9
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Fine, just trying to help, only managed a servo for 8 years. Suit yourself, but I'm sure they don't state 95 for kicks.
generally its just a recomendation, but they say the car will still run on 91 anyway, just not as well... this is the case for my fiesta ran it out 95-98 fuels, and recently put it on 91, it still works ok, but doesnt run as nice. it will be going back to 98, purely coz i want power back lol
Old 08-05-2010, 07:59 PM   #10
DragonMesh

Quote:

yea i guess some people cant understand basic maths/physics
Old 08-05-2010, 10:18 PM   #11
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chill guys!

I've been driving an '08 update now for a year, and I do mostly run it on 91.

But - when I do use 95 or "spoil" myself and use 98, the car definately runs better.
Very noticably better.

Agree completely that not everyone wants or needs to use full power potential of their car's engine.

Really comes down to the hip pocket on the day for me. I have had no warnings or ill effects from using 91 ron fuel, even the higher ethanol mixes. I do make a point of trying to use "the good stuff" every 4 or so tanks.

Still lovin' my Focus BTW, and its still strong and smooth.

Cheers, Leakey

[cant find POT STIRER SMILEY] Most "OLD" people I know tend to really look after their cars, and follow the running, service and maintenance to the letter. Thats why you find some 1970's cars in pristine condition still.

Last edited by leakey; 08-05-2010 at 10:23 PM.
leakey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 10:25 PM   #12
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
do you own a focus?? are you familiar with how old people think??

i'm assuming these cars have knock sensors, so running with 4RON less would hardly kill the engine. it may not develop the full 107kw on 91, but believe it or not, there are a lot of people out there that care very little for the power of a car.

are there any focus owners out there that run the car on 91?
If you only want one answer, then why ask the bloody question?
It's designed to run on 95. If Ford could promote it as running on 91, they would.
But it's obvious you'll tell your folks whatever you want to.
(Just love people who ask a question, then abuse people when they don't like the answer)
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 11:25 PM   #13
fordmondeoman

melbzetec ur right on there.
If you understand how a engine opperates and what octaine rating is used for then any modern car with knock control you would have to be silly running anything under 95 and most new cars today 98 it works out cheaper doing so, yes cheaper
Old 08-05-2010, 11:55 PM   #14
rand0mn00b

the manual for my LT states 95 is recommended, but you can go as low as 91 but expect lower performance/efficiency

can also use fuel with up to 10% ethanol
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 12:24 AM   #15
20focus05
I wanna XR5

well if you put 91 in it and it makes a funny crackling noise when you put the foot down thats pinging, which is bad. Basically the fuel is going bang before it should and is trying to push the piston back down while its still coming up. If you let this go on for to long damage to your engine may well occur.
And if this damage happens during warranty and the manufacturer states 95 should be used then say good by to warranty.

But best to use 95 on. Our car (LS) will still ping sometimes on 98
These engines have a high compression ration so a high ron is best.

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 01:38 AM   #16
prydey
Rob

some of you guys distance yourselves from reality. so many people focused on 'performance' and how the car 'goes'!! there are a lot of cars out there where the acceletater pedal only sees a fraction of its full movement. this will likely be one of those cars.

the manual also specifies a lot of other numbers - oil weight, coolant etc. hope no one decides to put different weight oil in their car.

i understand what pinging is. if it pings, then obviously 95 it is, but if the only detriment is a little less power, then that will never be noticed.

i guess i'll just have to figure it out for myself.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:14 AM   #17
Al...

I own a '07 (auto), I have tried 91 before and especially on hot days, even under light throttle it will ping quite badly.

I personally just use 98 and rarely have a issue and yes the fuel consumption does improve

As you say, it will be trial and error i guess.
Al... is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #18
DragonMesh

Quote:
some of you guys distance yourselves from reality. so many people focused on 'performance' and how the car 'goes'!! there are a lot of cars out there where the acceletater pedal only sees a fraction of its full movement. this will likely be one of those cars.

the manual also specifies a lot of other numbers - oil weight, coolant etc. hope no one decides to put different weight oil in their car.

i understand what pinging is. if it pings, then obviously 95 it is, but if the only detriment is a little less power, then that will never be noticed.

i guess i'll just have to figure it out for myself.
If the engine is running how its supposed to and getting good performance you will get good economy too, if you run it on crappy fuel and it pings all the time higher maintenance costs and lower economy.

Like melbzetec said, if you only want one answer why ask the question. The fact is we are all in reality, who knows where you are
Old 09-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #19
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonMesh
If the engine is running how its supposed to and getting good performance you will get good economy too, if you run it on crappy fuel and it pings all the time higher maintenance costs and lower economy.

Like melbzetec said, if you only want one answer why ask the question. The fact is we are all in reality, who knows where you are
modern ignition systems and vehicle ecu's are capable of running on a range of octanes!!

i have also noticed that most reviews say the car runs on ulp, no mention of premium.

if the car is pinging it obviously needs the higher octane, i'm not that stupid.

the question was directed at owners of these vehicles asking if they could be run on the slightly lower octane. experience can often be a much better judge.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:44 AM   #20
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

You've got all the answers then, why bother us to give you some reality if you aren't interested? Just put the 95 in!
Old 09-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #21
DragonMesh

Quote:
modern ignition systems and vehicle ecu's are capable of running on a range of octanes!!

i have also noticed that most reviews say the car runs on ulp, no mention of premium.

if the car is pinging it obviously needs the higher octane, i'm not that stupid.

the question was directed at owners of these vehicles asking if they could be run on the slightly lower octane. experience can often be a much better judge.
read what you have previously posted.. Im a focus owner, you said they want to put 91 in because its cheaper. Us as focus owners are saying(from experience) it will work with 91 but if you put 95 in it will work out better in the long run, cost wise anyway. Im done trying to argue logic with your stupidity
Old 09-05-2010, 01:25 PM   #22
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lucky the TDCI don't have this problem which seems to bring out a nasty streak in forum members.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #23
prydey
Rob

dragonmesh - what model focus do you own and have you tried running it on 91?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99
Lucky the TDCI don't have this problem which seems to bring out a nasty streak in forum members.
you can really feel the love can't you!

fordbaghia - operating a servo for 8 years doesn't make you an expert on how a focus may go running a fuel 4 octane less than recommended. this is why i didn't take much notice of what you had to say. i was after peoples personal experience.

of the focus owners who have replied, most seem to just run the 95 stuff but a couple do run the 91 it would seem. it wasn't a question of which is best because thats pretty obvious, but rather will it run.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #24
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

I wonder if the Focus can run E10?

Apparently E10 is 91 octane, with 10% ethanol blend, which bumps up the RON an extra 4 points to 95. Could this be an option for your inlaws?
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #25
casabonka
You can call me Chris

I had pinging with 91, so have used 95 since. occasionally spoil her with some 98, but wouldn't reccomend using 91.
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 04:05 PM   #26
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our 2006 CL runs on E10 , pings somethimes in hotter weather and when going out of tune. Hasnt pinged since last tune 12000kms ago and when I purchased car Ford said E10 was ok.
Its a manual so any loss of power is manageable, a 4 speed auto would be a different story.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #27
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by casabonka
I had pinging with 91, so have used 95 since. occasionally spoil her with some 98, but wouldn't reccomend using 91.
thankyou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord
I wonder if the Focus can run E10? Apparently E10 is 91 octane, with 10% ethanol blend, which bumps up the RON an extra 4 points to 95. Could this be an option for your inlaws?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino
Our 2006 CL runs on E10 , pings somethimes in hotter weather and when going out of tune. Hasnt pinged since last tune 12000kms ago and when I purchased car Ford said E10 was ok. Its a manual so any loss of power is manageable, a 4 speed auto would be a different story.
thankyou, i will look into that. not sure on the availability of e10 around the area as i never look for it but pretty sure its fairly common now.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #28
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i confirmed today that my mum uses 91 in her focus (purely coz its cheaper) and i drove it today and didnt notice anything wrong with the fuel. it worked fine (even with putting my foot down). however she does sometimes put 95 in if petrol is cheap (which may not be a horrible idea every now and then) but overall 91 works just fine and will do the job. (its an auto i should add)
Old 09-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #29
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

Fine, I'm walking away from it, have fun.

Last edited by FGX335; 09-05-2010 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Too mean
FGX335 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #30
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz
i confirmed today that my mum uses 91 in her focus (purely coz its cheaper) and i drove it today and didnt notice anything wrong with the fuel. it worked fine (even with putting my foot down). however she does sometimes put 95 in if petrol is cheap (which may not be a horrible idea every now and then) but overall 91 works just fine and will do the job.
i was thinking along these lines as well. if it turns out it does run ok on 91, i'll recommend the premium every 3rd tank or something.