Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Default Present For A Mate

My mate is coming back from Afghanistan in June and is also 21st and I can't think of anything to get.

It has to say your a hero mate and everyones proud of ya. Keep in mind this is a guy who can pretty much buy anything himself. Should I just go for the tried and tested grog :

sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #2
CHARGED TERRA
TARMAC EATER & HSV BEATER

Big night on the turps and a visit to the local : "Gentlemans Club" : ;)
CHARGED TERRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Pewter beer mug, engraved with his name, DOB, etc.
A Nice watch...engraved...
Gift voucher for something he likes, or would like to do... bridgeclimb, skywalk...
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A big group picture of friends/family - everyone with thumbs up or some other positive gesture with the desired message underneath - framed. Accompanied by grog.
I take it he is in the military? Would have to be mad to voluntarily go there for a holiday.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Skydiving, it's kick a**. Also, deep sea fishing.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is def a hard one to purchase for but i do have to agree with feathers on this one

either that or get him a hip flask (engraved ) that he can carry with him allways

just a thought

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
Pewter beer mug, engraved with his name, DOB, etc.
Gift voucher for something he likes, or would like to do... bridgeclimb, skywalk...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just throw him a mad welcome home / 21st party where all he has to do it rock up, drink some grog and catch up with all his friends and family.

I did a similar thing for a mate when he went overseas for a few years, I invited all his friends and family. He really apprecitated it.

Or a 4L bottle of Jack Daniels?
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #8
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Thanks I appreciate these are some good ideas.

Yeah he is in Army in Afghanistan
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2009, 07:34 PM   #9
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Zippo lighter with his initials and maybe "Doin' Us Proud" or something similar.

zippo's are always handy and a good keepsake.
Old 21-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #10
pottsy44

i think HE should shout the boys a night out. he'd be loaded!!! they get ALOT of money for overseas deployment!
pottsy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2009, 09:36 PM   #11
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

mate i would get him something that means something to you both, he may be able to buy everything himself but not something sentimental. i know when i got back i really wanted a big party with all my mates but it never happened. i would go for a big welcome home booze fest. oh yeh about 100grand too for 8 months
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 09:07 AM   #12
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a yard glass and a stripper. We got our mate a nice watch from a surf shop and had the side of it engraved with Happy 21st. Looked great!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 10:06 AM   #13
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
My mate is coming back from Afghanistan in June and is also 21st and I can't think of anything to get.

It has to say your a hero mate and everyones proud of ya. Keep in mind this is a guy who can pretty much buy anything himself. Should I just go for the tried and tested grog :
You answered your own query, but probably don't know it. By all means buy him something like a couple of tickets to the footy, but I would also be handing him a personal note expressing your pride at having him as a friend. It's something that will out live any tacky beer steins and will give him something he can treasure in his twilight years ... the memory of a good mate.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #14
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
You answered your own query, but probably don't know it. By all means buy him something like a couple of tickets to the footy, but I would also be handing him a personal note expressing your pride at having him as a friend. It's something that will out live any tacky beer steins and will give him something he can treasure in his twilight years ... the memory of a good mate.

I agree. something that he can keep and something that money can't buy that shows your appreciation in what he has done. Something he can look back on and feel good about doing something that's not very pleasant
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #15
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

I got the perfect present for him.

http://www.my-bullet.com/au/

Seeing as he is in the army. How about a .50 cal bullet with his name on it.

They say somewhere everyone has a bullet with their name on it. Best if you own that bullet before it owns you.

I reckon he'd love it.
Old 22-04-2009, 01:44 PM   #16
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
^^^ I think I need professional help. For some reason this line made me think of Pulp Fiction.

Quote:
a yard glass and a stripper
^^^ And *this* brings an interesting image to mind!!!

Seriously though, gather all his friends & family & have some photos done. It'll be boring at the time but he'll have pics of everyone close to him the next time (if there's a next time?) he's deployed. Personal pics are allowed right? I've got no idea, I've still got the stripper + yard glass image stuck in my mind.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #17
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEL2XR8
I got the perfect present for him.

http://www.my-bullet.com/au/

Seeing as he is in the army. How about a .50 cal bullet with his name on it.

They say somewhere everyone has a bullet with their name on it. Best if you own that bullet before it owns you.

I reckon he'd love it.
That to me seems a bit tacky - considering he puts his life on the line to serve the country.

Perhaps spilt the gift into two parts. Something for his 21st that he can remember as having been for his birthday, and something (like the letter, or photos) to let him know that you're proud of him.

Maybe get together all his family and friends and co-ordinate a small hard-cover scrapbook, with letters from everyone and photos, that he can take with him on deployment to remind him of home.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post