Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-01-2007, 01:13 PM   #1
all4ford
XW 351

Default Drug Education in Schools

Hey guys

I just wanted to hear what your thoughts are on the current education being put through schools in "health" classes to try and stop people from getting into drugs.

You cant turn on the news any night of the week without hearing something about ice, amphetemines, cocaine or ecstasy.

I just think they aren't doing enough to stop it. I believe if they showed documentary's and photographs of people whose lives have been destroyed by drugs, I mean pictures of people with no teeth, who have aged 10 years from 6 months of ice use. We see these pictures every now and then float into the papers, but they aren't being pushed in kids faces to scare them away from this stuff.

What do you guys think? Is it worrying to those parents out there who have kids in their early teens who will soon be out at parties where these drugs are regularly used by those who think theres nothing wrong with them.

all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 01:52 PM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Just makes me think of the crackhead from Chappelles Show, especially the episode where he tries to give the school kids a talk on drug awareness but basically ends up telling them how good it is and where you can buy them.

That was the first time I ever sucked **** for crack, and it won't be the last. LOL. Funny stuff.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 02:06 PM   #3
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Just makes me think of the crackhead from Chappelles Show, especially the episode where he tries to give the school kids a talk on drug awareness but basically ends up telling them how good it is and where you can buy them.

That was the first time I ever sucked **** for crack, and it won't be the last. LOL. Funny stuff.
Tyrone biggums?

"Drugs is all around you kids. Look at that magic marker cap. What the hell you think that is, some kind of crayon? Take it off and sniff it and get high"

"We all know you can take the number 5, then get on the number 4, get off at such and such and speak to whats his name... we all know that".

Lol.

In answer to the thread starter... I think its easy to overslimplify the issue. And much easier to blame the inadequacies etc

I must say, at our school, it wasnt taken too seriously. We just used to laugh at the fact the teacher was showing us pictures of bongs and blocks of hash. In all honesty, the kids knew more about drugs than the teachers (school was full of bongheads).

Are the people who end up in a "life of drug abuse" the kind of people who sit up and take notice at this stuff in school anyway?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:24 PM   #4
nobbystang

It doesn't work for cigarettes so why would it work for other drugs. I heard a rep told a mate that some of the people on those packets were crack heads and that is why they were so messed up??? what hope have they got when these people don't even believe that this can happen to them.

Doctors, Nurses, Paramedics, etc all see the affects of these products and some of them still smoke. We all believe it won't happen to us? Marijuana can ******* you up from just one puff yet people still think you have to be on it for decades before you end up with side affects. Plus peer group pressure, kids not fitting in wanting to be part of the cool group!!

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 02:27 PM   #5
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the best thing in this topic is to be aware parents.

My kids have had first hand dealings on how bad it can be when drugs are used ......... I am hoping, praying, that they are strong enough to stop the peer presure that is always present when it comes to this kind of stuff, to be able to say NO .........

Im not one who believes that the education system is the only way kids learn. We as parents must pull our heads out of the sand and start being pro-active about the things we want our children to have knowledge on and also to make game plans with them for the 'what if' senarios.

As said above ...... most of the stuff taught in school is only basic nothing comapred to real life ......... They cover what by law they must & dont really inform the kids of anything realistic.
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #6
bArNsY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is becoming more socially acceptable to take party drugs, with the aid of the internet people can research the drug find out the pros and cons and use it safely, 10 years ago you couldn't.

I am amazed when I go to the pub over summer the amount of bikky bags (pill bags) over the floor, as well as the amount of people off their chops with their jaw going a hundred mile an hour!

Drug education does need to be addressed at high schools, however, this may make individuals more curious.

I have a question to you all:
If someone takes (only once/annually/regularly) recreational drugs does that mean they are a bad person?
2004 BA MkII XR6 Turbo

2009 G6E Turbo (277.2rwkw @ Tuned at Bullet Performance Racing)
2007 Audi S5 4.2L V8 manual (Supersprint exhaust, MMI 3G+ retrofit)

The New: 2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium Petrol RWD (With Sync 3 Upgrade)

Other Road Toys

Silver Surfer
2014 S-Works Roubaix SL4 road bike with Roval Rapide CLX 40 wheelset

The Adventurer!
2023 TREK Domane SL 7 AXS Gen 4
bArNsY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 02:50 PM   #7
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldnt say a one off makes you a bad person ..... just stupid !!!!!!
Old 10-01-2007, 02:53 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4ford
Hey guys
I just wanted to hear what your thoughts are on the current education being put through schools in "health" classes to try and stop people from getting into drugs.
If it's an official Govt program it wont work. Like nobbystang said it is'nt working for ciggies.

I think the only way to communicate with kids, preferably whilst still in primary school, is to get an ex Druggie to give talk to them in class. Some of their stories will scare the crap out of them.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:03 PM   #9
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of the time, older folks and teachers just don't give the teens in schools enough credit and treat them like little kids.. The end result was in my school, that it just made it cooler and more adult to use drugs. People thought they knew more about it than the teachers (some did, it wasn't taken very seriously) and they seemed to go off and prove that. Now, i've grown a LOT in the last couple years (18 now) and have realised how much of an ignorant kid I was, but try telling that to them, they don't listen.

How many kids do people know on this forum that have grown up with over protective parents, then rebelled and lost the plot? I know plenty, and one close friend to me almost died from a suicide attempt. I don't think shoving images and biased information down students throats saying "drugs are bad mmk" is going to work.

The only illegal drug i've been on is herb, and it depends on the person using it what the effects are. You've got to be really sure of YOURSELF before you use a lot of a drug that can make you hullucinate, and it effects some people in bad ways (including me if I have too much). I'd never touch hard/party drugs though.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 03:08 PM   #10
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

i had drug education at school too bad it wasnt in the class room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 03:11 PM   #11
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by bArNsY
I have a question to you all:
If someone takes (only once/annually/regularly) recreational drugs does that mean they are a bad person?
Absolutely not. Some of my best friends are potheads. Great blokes. Their recreational drug use has no impact on the way i see them... apart from the fact they fall asleep at 9.30 lol.

Used to have a lot of friends who were into party drugs, we grew apart... mostly because they move in different circles (party for 2 days straight then sleep for a week).
Old 10-01-2007, 03:12 PM   #12
bArNsY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Prescription drugs, and in particular parricetimol can be just as dangerous as illicit drugs if used incorrectly.
2004 BA MkII XR6 Turbo

2009 G6E Turbo (277.2rwkw @ Tuned at Bullet Performance Racing)
2007 Audi S5 4.2L V8 manual (Supersprint exhaust, MMI 3G+ retrofit)

The New: 2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium Petrol RWD (With Sync 3 Upgrade)

Other Road Toys

Silver Surfer
2014 S-Works Roubaix SL4 road bike with Roval Rapide CLX 40 wheelset

The Adventurer!
2023 TREK Domane SL 7 AXS Gen 4
bArNsY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 03:13 PM   #13
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Absolutely not. Some of my best friends are potheads. Great blokes. Their recreational drug use has no impact on the way i see them... apart from the fact they fall asleep at 9.30 lol.

Used to have a lot of friends who were into party drugs, we grew apart... mostly because they move in different circles (party for 2 days straight then sleep for a week).

yeah have a mate that smokes a heap of pot he thinks he is okay but the F%%ken phone calls at 1am arnt need but he thinks he is ok

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 03:15 PM   #14
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes they can be bArNsy ...... this topic is about illegal drug education though.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:20 PM   #15
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura

Agreed. Guitarist in my band and my best mate use herb quite a bit (as well as other friends). Some of the nicest, funniest best blokes you'll ever meet.. And they're both working, making a living and doing things in life.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 07:05 PM   #16
all4ford
XW 351

First off, I dont believe recreational drug users are bad people or people who smoke marijuana. I know I'm being a bit hipocritical to single out certain drug users, but I think amphetemine and ice use is what we need to concentrate on. The thing with these drugs is that it is so easy to take like other less harmful drugs, but the chance for addiction is so great. I'm not just believing media hype either, I've seen this wave of speed and ice in particular take away many people i "use" to know. Now I wouldn't even recognise them.

Some people tend to think that having a toke on the ice pipe is no different to having a smoke of marijuana, but people who I've spoken to after "trying" ice, have said that they can never be happy again.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:59 PM   #17
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

with the number of things society want taught in schools why doesn't the government raise the leaving age to 25? then (possibly) all the academic stuff can be taught, and the drug, and the road safety, and the safe partying, and the the career studies, and the political awareness, and the green view, better not touch religion, push safe sex, community awareness and team building, student voice is a biggie here in south oz, hey we can touch religion Johnny H wants more chaplins, might as well get teachers to push respect and honesty as well, did I mention work experience?, oh the list goes on, and on. but don't forget schools should get academic results as well
edit; I forgot rights! students rights of course
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 09:13 PM   #18
all4ford
XW 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo
with the number of things society want taught in schools why doesn't the government raise the leaving age to 25? then (possibly) all the academic stuff can be taught, and the drug, and the road safety, and the safe partying, and the the career studies, and the political awareness, and the green view, better not touch religion, push safe sex, community awareness and team building, student voice is a biggie here in south oz, hey we can touch religion Johnny H wants more chaplins, might as well get teachers to push respect and honesty as well, did I mention work experience?, oh the list goes on, and on. but don't forget schools should get academic results as well
edit; I forgot rights! students rights of course
I'm not talking about additional classes, just meaningful material in the Health classes we already have. This instead of the 2 pages of text my year received a couple of years back, describing the effects which didn't include loss of teeth and self respect.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:44 PM   #19
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

The Only Drug Education Kids need
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeL4-kTIAJY

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 10:59 PM   #20
all4ford
XW 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR_AU
The Only Drug Education Kids need
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeL4-kTIAJY
I've seen this heaps, but every time I still laugh my a$$ off. Damn Chapelle is good!!!
Old 10-01-2007, 11:34 PM   #21
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8

I remember Dennis Leary saying he'd never do crack. The reason was he wouldn't want to take a drug named after a part of his ar$e.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 11:54 PM   #22
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

For some people no amount of education will stop them from making stupid decisions.
I think what is around now (formal education and common knowledge to the majority of high school aged kids) is enough for even 15 yr olds to decide what they want to do.

Nothing I learnt at school scared me off taking any sort of illegal drugs (i dont smoke either and only rarely have a drink) it was the FEAR of what would happen if my dad found out. Parenting is the answer, dont leave everything up to the schools.

Schools are for reading, writing and aritmetic.
Parents are to teach about community and family values, right and wrong, acceptable and unacceptable behaviours and other 'lessons in life'.

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 12:37 AM   #23
Mental
Cam Luncheon

Drug education at school revolves around the negative effects of drug use including the physical, phsycological and emotional. Which basicaly means they will tell you all the nasty things that can/might possibly happen to your body if you take a certain drug and the nasty things it can do to your life as a result.

Now I took nearly every drug that I was told I should never ever go near m'kay? And I had some of the best and worst times of my life with none of the -real world problems- that were drummed into me at school. Where does that leave the education? none of THAT was in the textbook!

Please .. stay with me here.

In my experiences with drugs, those that take them and those in their immediate circle of friends/family, it's the emotional interchange(with the drug), and for some, interdependance, that pushes both sides of the fence to the edge.

Drugs provide you with an emotional change that transmutes, for better or worse, your living thoughts which then flow into actions. This is the very reason that drugs are dangerous. And I dont just mean illicit, ANY drug can have this effect, just ask those on the forum that have taken anti-depresents, or even the pill.

This is why drugs aren't for everyone, but that doesnt mean they aren't for anyone! A blanket strategy will never work because of this. Why? because people use it and find that it works for them. This creates a very contradictory world for the younguns brought up with the above teaching. As some of them will innevitabley be confronted with drug use in a social setting that totaly contradicts everything they have been taught, it certainly was for me.

Anyone who has ever used Ecstasy will understand the lengths of just how far an emotional state of being can go, it magnifys you, It's thorougly enthralling! FOR ME!. Now, on that same note, how do you tell a 15yr old that they JUST ARENT READY for that! If you had have told me that at 15 I wouldn't ever have understood you, could never have understood you. You need to be Centered upstairs before you do anything of the sorts!

And this is the problem, no-one approaches it from this angle. Children/young addolescents are NOT READY for the emotional magnification .. and when you are, its about being Resposible!

I believe in responsible use, and in my philosophy, that goes further than just drugs .. Now how pray tell do you teach that kind of responsibility?
Old 11-01-2007, 12:58 AM   #24
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Faces of meth - before and after.

2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 11:28 PM   #25
all4ford
XW 351

The above pictures is what I'm referring to. I didn't want to single out a drug thats why I opened up with talk of a few. But to me, ICE or Methamphetemine (when smoked or injected) is all bad, there is NO good to become of using Meth this way. It is not to be used recreationally. Your mind WILL not recover from the use of such a potent form of amphetemine drug.

I'll be hipocritical and agree with MENTAL, as I have friends that recreationally use ecstasy and it does not affect their day to day lives. Although I dare say that in 20 years time, the true effects of recreational drug use will be shown.
Old 13-01-2007, 12:16 AM   #26
red_october
Go on, be a monkey....

Drug education in schools? Won't do any good.

Because of the 'I'm so invincible' attitude most young kids have, the only way someone will actually take notice is when they start to feel the effects of drugs, ie hallucinations, mental instability, etc etc. By then they're addicted and it's too late to get off it.

Education starts at home.
red_october is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 12:48 AM   #27
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Peer pressure is an incredibly strong thing.

I personally believe that harm minimisation strategies don't work. It takes a defeatest line that says "they're going to do it anyway!"

I know a little about this issue as I am a school counsellor and Personal Development teacher in a Secondary School.

From my teaching / counselling experience, it boils down to 1 key ingredient for kids.
The type of relationships they have with their parents, and the morals / values / character instilled in them at home.

Teachers can do a great job of shaping young students who are willing to learn, but ever tried to explain something to a friend who's adamant that they are right and tune out?

The sad and sorry truth is that most of the morals and values and esteem is already there, or sadly lacking, even before a student hits Prep. There is no other more influential duo on a child than his/her parents.

Sadly, I have seen too many kids, too hurt, too letdown, too left to go their own way, left without a strong sense of their value and importance, by parents who can't get their own issues together. Some parents for whatever reasons separate, it hurts everyone, none more so than the kids. Some parents are together, but are busy chasing their career, or money to adequately instill in their kids the values and perseverance that will see them through life. Some parents are much more interested in their job than their family. Sad but true.

When kids hit their teen years, all of the parents work, or lack of it will be plain to see. When the peer group grows in influence, I see the strength of a young person's character and resilience tested. Will they make good choices; about friendships, sexual and otherwise, will they choose a career for the pay, or one that will serve humanity? How do they treat others and themselves? Are they suffering deep hurts that they try to mask and dull away with things such as, alcohol, drugs, sex and various addictions.

I am of course talking in general terms and there are always wonderful exceptions. Some kids make wonderful choices and really go for it, even though they and their family are doing it tough.

Now please don't accuse me of saying that if parents are together and happy and putting in with their kids that nothing bad will ever happen! Kids will still push boundaries and test limits from time to time. Kids will still make some bad choices.

But I see again and again, that the strong families, raise strong and capable kids, capable of resisting the urge to do stupid things, capable of resisting the harrowing voice of the often moraless and narcissistic peer group.

It pains me to see kids make really bad, and often stupid choices. As a counsellor I cannot make them do anything, just listen, hear and advise, and often pray! Some kids work it though with my help, others don't really seem to get it until the hurts and damage from their mistakes has mounted up and scarred them up pretty badly.

Drug education is really important. I am a strong believer in it. However, if you have no support from home, you are really starting way behind the 8 ball.

There's my 2 bob worth anyway. Thanks for taking the long time to read this post!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 09:53 AM   #28
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Yep completely understand and agree with that ^^^^

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2007, 10:05 AM   #29
Mental
Cam Luncheon

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4ford
The above pictures is what I'm referring to. I didn't want to single out a drug thats why I opened up with talk of a few. But to me, ICE or Methamphetemine (when smoked or injected) is all bad, there is NO good to become of using Meth this way. It is not to be used recreationally. Your mind WILL not recover from the use of such a potent form of amphetemine drug.

I'll be hipocritical and agree with MENTAL, as I have friends that recreationally use ecstasy and it does not affect their day to day lives. Although I dare say that in 20 years time, the true effects of recreational drug use will be shown.
I agree, ICE (Methamphetamine), Heroin, and cocain are all on my list of drugs that should never be taken, the risk you run of grevous mental and physical damage is just footy fields beyond any kind of -high- one might get.

And I agree with you on the loing term effects of Ecstacy. But again, that depends on the individual and the frequency of use. Too frequently and you run a real chance of screwing up your natural production and release of Serotonin, as well as changing the volume and type of receptors in that area of the brain.

GK, know exactly what your saying there. At school I was like the counselor for my friends, as I used to travel in all the circles of people. And it was quite evident from early on just who's parents were all f'ckd up. It was very plain to see, and sad for me =( its not easy watching people destroy themselves.
Old 13-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #30
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Drug education is sufficient. There are only so many ways you can tell a person that it is not in your best interest to take drugs.

Problem with some drugs your first time could be your last time. Can't pop any pills when your dead.

People waste their money on drugs, I waste mine on booze and smokes.

Obviously both have long term effects but what I think what really irks people about habitual illegal drug users is they become a nuisance to society.

Personally do whatever the hell you want with your life, but just remember there is such thing as the ground when you decide you are superman and can fly. Then superman is superdead!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post