Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 19-02-2006, 12:40 AM   #1
snortingboost
XF Ghia. All snorted out

Default Turbocharger kits, how much should they cost

Hey blokes, just wondering the dollar value of which you think is reasonable for a turbo kit to suit the e series. I'm talking about a base kit which is capable of turning out 200rwkw give or take a few. Try and think about a price for fully installed, turn key and just the kit itself minus exhaust/intercooler plumbing. JMM seem to have started the ball rolling with their bid fully installed for just under 12 grand. It will be interesting to hear from everyones veiw points. Cheers.

snortingboost is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 01:45 AM   #2
Qwikcorty
V8 Turbo Hoon

ebay t04 new $500 or less
qwikcorty/sundeep style exhaust m,amofold bugger all
ebay wasegate $150
some pipes and somne welding

3.9 goes good for 2 weeks om that setup! haven fun ehh
Qwikcorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 02:02 AM   #3
stiddy
Banned

ive seen a kit done including intercooler piping for $5500 and that cars making easily over 200rwkw..
if you were to buy the parts and have it installed by a pro, without cooler piping and exhaust, you'd be looking at the 6-8k mark...
depends on the quality/brand of the parts you get..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 08:09 AM   #4
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

buy the parts yourself and install what you can by yourself.. Most of these kits are just a rip.

"
ebay t04 new $500 or less
qwikcorty/sundeep style exhaust m,amofold bugger all
ebay wasegate $150
some pipes and somne welding
"

Thats the spirit.
- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 09:10 AM   #5
snortingboost
XF Ghia. All snorted out

I've tried two of those ebay TO4e peices of nnnn turbo's and they fell to peices within three days costing more than what they are worth to turn back into a real turbo. Some people get away with running low boost in them but either way it's not worth the hassle, it's either KKK, garrett, HKS, IHI or the highway. If you find the right contacts you can have yourself a decent branded turbo for $600 with 12 months warranty anyway. All the other stuff seems to be ok like the intercoolers, wastegates, manifolds but those TO4e's are a worry. Just for your information they are all made in china and cost as little as $120 to import, I know because thats what i had to pay, wasted my doe.
Old 19-02-2006, 11:12 AM   #6
Qwikcorty
V8 Turbo Hoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by snortingboost
I've tried two of those ebay TO4e peices of nnnn turbo's and they fell to peices within three days costing more than what they are worth to turn back into a real turbo. Some people get away with running low boost in them but either way it's not worth the hassle, it's either KKK, garrett, HKS, IHI or the highway. If you find the right contacts you can have yourself a decent branded turbo for $600 with 12 months warranty anyway. All the other stuff seems to be ok like the intercoolers, wastegates, manifolds but those TO4e's are a worry. Just for your information they are all made in china and cost as little as $120 to import, I know because thats what i had to pay, wasted my doe.

you bought the wrong turbo, u managed to get a new t04b garrett .60 52mm and .94 p trim for under $500. effalcon has it now and the manifold wg etc.
Qwikcorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 12:09 AM   #7
snortingboost
XF Ghia. All snorted out

I don't think so (jog my memory long time ago) as i never intended on selling ИИИИ to anyone in the first place and secondly it was a to4e and had XS power written on one of them and the other was turbo ZY or something. I think ebay is crap in a way because it undermines the real costs involved in producing such equipment as good quality turbochargers etc. China know's how to copy an intercooler but turbo's are a completely different story and you have to be in total control of what your receiving, otherwise you can end up extremely dissapointed.
Old 21-02-2006, 12:19 AM   #8
EFFalcon
Last warning

the XS power ones are the ИИИИ ones :P
as qwikcorty said, his setup was running fine till he killed the engine (too much boost me thinks) :P
so far i've spent just under $2k, all i need to buy is silicone joiners, and spend some $$ on a 2nd LPG converter and upgraded lines.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 11:44 AM   #9
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you mind listing what you have got for 2k? Im also assuming all the work was done by yourself?
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 12:37 PM   #10
EFFalcon
Last warning

most of the stuff i got was 2nd hand.

2.5" intercooler piping, chrome coated, 2nd hand from PYROAY - $250
intercooler - 600x300x76 group buy - $160
qwikcorty's old turbo setup from his EA - $1200 (inc turbo (near new), ext wastegate, dump pipe which fits in where pacie extractors were, manifold, oil lines, his old piping (extras), boost guage, vac lines, hose clamps, a few silicone joins, few other bits and peices)
Megajolt ignition ECU & EDIS6 Controller - $300
fitting will be done myself since its only a matter of making holes and some brackets.

thats about it.
Old 21-02-2006, 12:54 PM   #11
stiddy
Banned

Wow, You've done well EFFalcon.. thats a bargain..

I remembered when I was doing mine I was at 6k and still going for parts.. All brand new though..

I'll be interested to see how your set up turns out..
Old 21-02-2006, 01:10 PM   #12
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
I'll be interested to see how your set up turns out..
so will i ;P
a mid 13 second pass would see me a very happy man.
Old 21-02-2006, 02:39 PM   #13
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The price on a kit all depends on what you want.

You could get an ebay turbo for less than $500 or you could buy something top of the range for over $3K.

Manifolds can be modified to work cheaply, log manifolds can be had for $400 and spaghetti manifolds are getting around now for $500-$1500.

You can use a rising rate reg and bigger fuel pump for under $500 or you can go for an ECU and big injectors from about $1500 to over $4K depending what you want. If you want more than 200rwkw you will need a bigger pump with the ecu and injectors.

Air to Air Coolers - Ebay $160 - Garret cores and good named end tanks about $800.

Etc etc.
Old 21-02-2006, 04:09 PM   #14
eed-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The kit im looking at is 8k fully installed.

T66 turbo, intercooler etc etc.

so you can save ИИИИLOADS if u do the labour yourself!
520rwhp
eed-250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 06:41 PM   #15
MADED-6
MADED.6

has anyone had any experience with the snort performance stuff they are on ebay the stage 2 kit is $2500 and u get pretty much everything u need i think. and they recon u can get 180rwkw with everything else standard then put bigger injectors better fuel pump and a few other things and u should see 200rwkw i would think. but if anyone has had any experience with them can u pm me or somethin coz i was goin to buy that kit. thanx.
MADED-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 07:16 PM   #16
finnyman
smoke rubber, not crack

yeh man im interested in the snort stuff as well cuz its a hell lot cheaper than 8-10k, and they use garret turbos as well....ive asked that question a few times and i dont think i ever got an answer lol, im guna sit back, have a beer....and wait
finnyman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 07:19 PM   #17
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The snort kits are fine but they arent complete. It will still cost a bit on top to get it all up and running.
Old 21-02-2006, 07:28 PM   #18
stiddy
Banned

yea ontop of the snortkits you need injectors, fuel pump, intercooler piping, silicon joiners, and an engine management system...
Id say go for it, get Geoffs gear.. the kits are awsome quality, you get more than what you pay for..
Old 21-02-2006, 07:40 PM   #19
micksta

so in this thread .. i'v seen some for 2 and 12k ... so asking for a good fully functional system straight out of the box .. is out of the question ?
micksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 09:37 PM   #20
evlelf
Banned

To give you an idea, my kit is a snort performance kit, geoff installed it himself, with a few touches up here and there im extremely impressed with what i got for my money, and would do it again..
evlelf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 10:16 PM   #21
EF_Frmnt
Banned

ah is that you dean.. well i think i stage 4 kit should be supplied and installed for about 5grand.. and as for JMM charging 12 thats ИИИИИing ridiculous
EF_Frmnt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 09:16 PM   #22
MADED-6
MADED.6

i only want a stage 2 or maybe 3 kit, so fitted is about $5,000 thats a good price can i ask wat stage kit u run and how much it cost u evlelf.
Old 22-02-2006, 09:52 PM   #23
evlelf
Banned

Mine is a stage 2 kit from snort performance, geoff did me a special deal and installed it himself, it was 4 grand installed, but a bits been spent since then.. all up about 5500 i think to how it is now
Old 22-02-2006, 09:59 PM   #24
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

people think its just turbo, manifold and wastegate.. Its a lot more than just the simple snort kit..

I will admit, i thought the same... And im only just ready to hit the qtr now(4 months later)
- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 11:00 PM   #25
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Frmnt
ah is that you dean.. well i think i stage 4 kit should be supplied and installed for about 5grand.. and as for JMM charging 12 thats ИИИИИing ridiculous
not really. It's a lot of work and until you do it yourself you don't realise. With JMM you get everything. The Snort kits just give u the basics. What you dont get is a dump-pipe to suit your exhaust, injectors, tuning, ECU, intercooler, intercooler piping, silicon hoses etc.
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2006, 05:57 PM   #26
MADED-6
MADED.6

fitted to me is u drive in they fit it and u drive out i can understand u might have to buy a boost gauge, turbo timer, and ИИИИ like that but wouldnt fitted be u can drive the car home. wat else did u have to buy evlelf. $5500 is still pretty good when u think about it.
Old 23-02-2006, 10:15 PM   #27
evlelf
Banned

yeah definatly, 5500 is excellent so far. Well included in the 4k basic install, i did get my exhaust dump pipe, i did get the cooler and piping, silocone hosing and so on.. that was a drive in, drive out price. Admittedly, the drive out was with probably 4 pound of boost and a 15 second car still. I have payed for some labour since, getttin some touches up to the piping and flanges, headwork, not really any parts that i can think of.. A lot of labour on my behalf though playing with all the bits, but it was definatly all there for the 4k basic install

(no ecu, no injectors = no tuning, i recommend getting these two things)
Old 23-02-2006, 10:17 PM   #28
evlelf
Banned

8-12k from jim mock motorsport is a lot of money, but they do do a very good job, and you know your car will be reliable and you'll have someone to call if something breaks/doesnt work how you want it. They wont let a car go out the door that isnt right.
Old 18-03-2006, 04:52 PM   #29
EF_Frmnt
Banned

When you consider you could buy a near complete turbo setup for 4000 thats the top of the line... plus say 1500 for standalone ecu another 500 to 1000 for injectors and a bigger fuel pump charging 4 or 5 gs for labour is over priced... you get everything in the snort kits and sphell you do get a dump pipe all you need to do is get your own exhaust put onto it by a decent shop.. or you can get a complete new one. Its all down to how much you wanna spend. you can get a snort kit bolt it on next to no mods like evlelf did and run a low 14s quarter but the best thing is overtime you can spend a bit more at a time and before you know it you have a 10s street car. Thats with a lot of head work and bottom end rebuild and possible blueprint but its all within reach if you do it bit by bit. 12 grand would want to see you hitting 12s straight away.. in my opinion JMM are ridiculously overpriced because they seem to have a monopoly on the Falcon I6 market.. there are lots of other products out there you just have to look for them.
EF_Frmnt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2006, 04:58 PM   #30
EFFalcon
Last warning

i think the issue poeple have with snort kits, is that while you do get a dump pipe, you still have to get it welded up to suit ur exhaust.
you also have to get intercooler piping and an intercooler, not to mention all the hose clamps, vacuum lines, silicone joins etc that come with it.

it can be done on the cheap, thats been proven.
but theres a big difference between a snort kit + a few bits to complete it and the kit that JMM offered.
if you ran through and added up everyhting in the JMM kit, it does add up.