Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-06-2010, 11:35 PM   #1
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Default Another annoying drivers rant

Well after doing 3 priority 1's last night I was appalled and very angry at drivers. It was night so my lights were easily visible, yet no one get's out of the way. I am leaving the depo with the lights on and I am waiting as 4 cars continue to drive stopping me from leaving. It is not like I was pulling on to a main road, and even then they were the only 4 cars in the area. Then with sirens blaring I had to stop at a roundabout to wait for more rude bastards, then same deal at a T-Junction. I had to wait for traffic, then as I began to slowly inch by inch move out, cars just went wide around me. WTF. To top it off I am curtious and I continuously flash the highbeams at least 200m before approaching a vehicle. Yet people continue driving. Last night I was just so annoyed and continue to be highly annoyed at the selfishness of drivers out there. I may not be doing 100km/h as people think (I only ever drive to the conditions or 20km over the posted limit, except on the open road where I go no faster than 120) Please people if you see us, hear us get out of the way, after all we are responding to an emergency. I am sure if it was your family/friends you would want us to get there ASAP.

Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 12:09 AM   #2
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is incredible how some people will basically ignore emergency vehicles but are the first ones to bag all you guys out if it takes a little while for you to get to them when they want you..

Annoys me seeing people blatantly do this.. and yep, have been known to yell at morons not getting out the way.

I personally think these people should be able to be photographed somehow (automatic type machine on emergency vehicles or something) and fined.. start seriously fining people and they will learn.
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 07:23 AM   #3
dave289
Banned

They should have a camera and film all these morans so they can go back later and fine all them for obstructing emergency vehicles. The result of people not knowing the australian way I suppose.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I absolutely agree that it must be highly frustrating for drivers of emergency vehicles when people are too lazy to get out of the way. Beggars belief!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
GoldCoastGTP
Luxo rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDfutura25
Well after doing 3 priority 1's last night I was appalled and very angry at drivers. It was night so my lights were easily visible, yet no one get's out of the way. I am leaving the depo with the lights on and I am waiting as 4 cars continue to drive stopping me from leaving. It is not like I was pulling on to a main road, and even then they were the only 4 cars in the area. Then with sirens blaring I had to stop at a roundabout to wait for more rude bastards, then same deal at a T-Junction. I had to wait for traffic, then as I began to slowly inch by inch move out, cars just went wide around me. WTF. To top it off I am curtious and I continuously flash the highbeams at least 200m before approaching a vehicle. Yet people continue driving. Last night I was just so annoyed and continue to be highly annoyed at the selfishness of drivers out there. I may not be doing 100km/h as people think (I only ever drive to the conditions or 20km over the posted limit, except on the open road where I go no faster than 120) Please people if you see us, hear us get out of the way, after all we are responding to an emergency. I am sure if it was your family/friends you would want us to get there ASAP.
Welcome to the world of stupid or panicky drivers - I actually think it is getting worse and in my obs it is not the old or the young ones they get out of the way pronto it is the middle age women 30 - 50 who do not care they will stare at the road ahead use no mirrors or a plain deaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
They should have a camera and film all these morans so they can go back later and fine all them for obstructing emergency vehicles. The result of people not knowing the australian way I suppose.
In some traffic cars there is but it can not be used for that - it really should be
Old 13-06-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCoastGTP
Welcome to the world of stupid or panicky drivers - I actually think it is getting worse and in my obs it is not the old or the young ones they get out of the way pronto it is the middle age women 30 - 50 who do not care they will stare at the road ahead use no mirrors or a plain deaf
I'm with you there, I watched as a middle aged woman cut off a fire truck on priority at a round about, didn't even look, just trundled around drinking her coffee, blokes in the truck were very obviously annoyed, they had started to enter and had to slam on their brakes.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They should do like they have done here in Geelong

The main ambo station in the city has a set of traffic lights that is actavated as soon as a priority one call is announced from memory it also has a red light camera on it.

I to think people should start getting fined for not giving way to emergancy vehicles

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 08:52 AM   #8
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i always give way and everyone else seems to too,it must be a city problem,and im in Hervey Bay where the Elderly dont like letting trucks back into lanes and cross main roads without looking,yet they seem to give way to emergency vehicles without a moments thought.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 11:09 AM   #9
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
I personally think these people should be able to be photographed somehow (automatic type machine on emergency vehicles or something) and fined.. start seriously fining people and they will learn.
now thats some revenue raising that i totally agree with! have friends within the emergency services area, and i actively try and teach my scouts what to do around them...
Old 13-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Its not drivers its people's ignorance and arrogance in general...I remember watching an ambulance driving up St Georges Tce in Perth with its party lights and siren on and it was trying to get through a pedestrian crossing...do you think people would stop crossing to let it through...no...people just kept on walking out in front of it like it wasn't even there.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #11
Kryton

Just start driving like this - people will soon get the message:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_kF1JBiVpQ
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #12
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Appalling stories of disrespect towards our emergency services in here.

I have a mate who is an Ambulance Officer here in SA, was talking to him just a couple of weeks back, and apparently if cars fail to move for them or block them or whatever, they can take down their number plates and report them and they get a fine in the mail.

I'm always more than willing to get out of the way for an ambo/firey/police when their lights are flashing and sirens going. Even ran a red for one once, in the turning lane, saw it coming up behind me, lucky the cars coming the other way who had the green saw it, they saw me flashing my headlights like mad, and stopped to let me and the ambulance behind me around. Only situation I would ever deliberately run a red for.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #13
SVTVNM
Guzzler

It' amazing i think how many people dont do mirror checks in traffic or as suggested are just plain arrogant, I;m yet to not notice an emergency services vehicle approaching from behind with lights going.
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 01:17 PM   #14
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I always move for them when I see/hear them, but sometimes in the bus, with 60 loud kids - some with music going, I cannot hear them until they are right on top of me, especially coming out of a side street or intersection.

Had a couple of close calls with police cars mainly.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 03:03 PM   #15
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I'd be all for infringements handed out to those that don't give way to an emergency vehicle when permitted. Cameras mounted in emergency vehicles would likely make motorists take heed to lights and sirens or cop the penalty if they don't.

Remember, could be one of your loved ones that an emergency vehicle is responding to.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 08:31 PM   #16
gocruzin
Ford tragic

Here in vic drivers are the most arrogant and ignorant that they have been in ten years, and it will only get worse.
I absolutely hate driving in melbourne, it seems the only people that receive courtesy on the roads here are the cops for obvious reasons.
There needs to be some sort of punishment fo that kind of disrespect.
Old 13-06-2010, 09:12 PM   #17
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
I have a mate who is an Ambulance Officer here in SA, was talking to him just a couple of weeks back, and apparently if cars fail to move for them or block them or whatever, they can take down their number plates and report them and they get a fine in the mail.
I thought they could already do that anyway in most/all states. I think the emergency vehicle crew would need a pretty big notepad to write them all down - each day.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #18
Spudz27
Call me Spud

It is hard to get rego's. I was too busy driving, meaning watching every bit of road, driveway and footpath and the paramedic with me was too busy looking at the map. This particular job was 50k out of town.
Old 13-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #19
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

ALERT = Cloaking Device

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #20
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, see this sort of behaviour all the time. An emergency vehicle inching out into an intersection whilst cars just keep driving right on through.

A word of warning though.......don't ignore a red light/red arrow for the purpose of trying to let an emergency vehicle through. By all means move over, or manoeuver your car out of the way, but don't run a red because if you do, and you hit someone or someone hits you, you'll be stuffed from a legal perspective. The ambos and fireys are more than capable of finding a way around or through a crowded intersection. Several times I've seen an emergency vehicle delayed considerably because a vehicle in front has ducked left, then right, then left again in a (misguided) attempt to get out of the way. Move over if you can, don't panic, be rational, and the guys in the emergency vehicle will be able to assess the situation and sort out a way though.

Brent.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #21
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Today as i was entering the motorway in Logan Qld, only about 5 cars on the motorway, i was on the onramp, i spotted flashing lights coming up in the left lane of the motorway. The ambulance over took me (still on the onramp lane he in the slow lane) and the ambulance changed lanes sirens and lights blaring, and ended up stuck behind a car pacing another, so both lanes of the motorway were blocked. It took an unbelievable amount of time, for the car in the overtaking lane to move over.
Unfortunatly, as long as Department of transport gives out licences to every tom dick and harry, and the traffic increasing day by day, this will only become a increasing problem. Im finding as inconsideration increases, im becoming more and more agressive in my driving. I find years of profesional rally driving, have me going bush more and more even though i should be on the road. WAKE UP TO YOUR SELVES. It could be one of your loved ones they are trying to save.
Auturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 09:54 PM   #22
BA Baracus
xls

Sorry to go off topic a bit but I read another topic on emergency vehicles on here a fair while ago and it was said (by someone who drives an emergency vehicle as far as I know) that if stopped at a red light and emergency vehicle comes up behind you not to proceed through the red light. It made sense how it was explained ..being that if an accident occurs by going through the red they are obligated to stop for your situation and the actual emergency is delayed. I understood you should just wait until green light and then attempt to pull over to the left as quickly as possible to get out of the way.

This actually occurred to me last week though and they went nuts beeping and headlight flashing the car next to me forcing them to proceed through the red light at a major intersection fairly close to the CBD in Brisbane. What are you actually meant to do at a intersection with a red light if you have an emergency vehicle behind you?
BA Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 09:57 PM   #23
Spudz27
Call me Spud

^^Unfortunately there are some drivers (emergency) who are just as arrogant as the public. It is illegal for you to run a red, we will find our own way around or if need be turn off the siren and wait till traffic can move. The other thing is the emergency driver should be assessing the lights, intersection etc as they approach. Finally if we run a red and cause an accident we are liable, even if the lights and sirens are blaring. It has happened to a paramedic here in W.A.
Old 13-06-2010, 10:12 PM   #24
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Baracus
Sorry to go off topic a bit but I read another topic on emergency vehicles on here a fair while ago and it was said (by someone who drives an emergency vehicle as far as I know) that if stopped at a red light and emergency vehicle comes up behind you not to proceed through the red light. It made sense how it was explained ..being that if an accident occurs by going through the red they are obligated to stop for your situation and the actual emergency is delayed. I understood you should just wait until green light and then attempt to pull over to the left as quickly as possible to get out of the way.

This actually occurred to me last week though and they went nuts beeping and headlight flashing the car next to me forcing them to proceed through the red light at a major intersection fairly close to the CBD in Brisbane. What are you actually meant to do at a intersection with a red light if you have an emergency vehicle behind you?
U should of been watching the rear mirror well before u stoped at the lights and got ure vehicle into a position where u wern't in the ambulances way....
Full stop the end......
Auturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 10:12 PM   #25
Kryton

You know what i do find kinda funny - now that it has been mentioned that Victorians, especially in Melbourne, are so arrogant and ignorant, is that if you think Melbourne drivers are that bad, you should head on out to rural cities.
Seems that the smaller they are, they worse they are - such as Warrnambool.

Whenever i head to Melbourne, i actually find road users to be very courteous, willing to let you in when a lane ends or need to get on another lane on the freeway, happy to stop and wait for a reverse park (and know what one is) - none of this you will find in Warrnambool at all.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 10:22 PM   #26
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of the time it is stupidity (as a lot of drivers out there seem to be in la la land).
However a few things which really dont go in favour of emergency services are:

The sirens themselves (or the speaker) are not as loud as they used to be.
I have a 1970s Police siren which peaks at 145BDA.
This means that passengers in modern cars with all that wonderful sound proofing wont hear you until your 10meters behind them.
Also a lot of people have sterios blarring or ipods stuck in their ear as they drive!
Or... talking on the phone.

The next is a real issue, but seemingly one which has never been looked into.
Years ago when they started fitting strobes to Ambulances here in QLD and removed the older revolving lights I noticed a few things.

They mistakenly fitted in the early 2000s flashing white and red stobes, which for a start is wrong. As white lights mean nothing, red or blue mean emergency vehicle. Not white. (im not talking headlights, but small tiny lights/ strobes.)

Apart from that, a flashing or strobing light in certain daylight conditions inst very visible to the eye. The eye detects movment through perifferal (spelling i know) vision.
A rotating beacon moves. Therefor its movement is detected quicker then a flashing light from a great distance.

Also side on to the larger F series Ambulances, the flashing lights or strobes many just "appear" as indicators to some people!
I would hazzard (!) a guess that if the older style light bars returned that people would "see" them quicker on the road.

During night time use strobes/ LEDs are fine... I also understand the LEDs current draw is minimal too.

There is of course a need for drivers to wake up and actually check mirrors too, like was taught many yrs ago!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 10:23 PM   #27
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I also agree in the situation with a red light, absolute caution has to be taken but if you proceed moving out the way and start to go through the light but are doing it with absolute caution, you should be ok.

I have been in the exact same situation and the ambo's behind me could see what I was doing and that I was trying to move out the way but had to be cautious due to traffic screaming through the green.. finally had a car slow enough to let me move enough so the ambulance could continue on.

I think the ones that need to be fined are those that aren't in the above type situations but those that blatantly refuse to move or try to move or stop to let these guys through.
I have been in the situation waiting for an ambulance in several scary times and that will always be in my mind when I hear / see emergency vehicles. As has been said when it is yourself or your loved ones needing desperate help people might, I do say 'might' realise how important it is to get out of the way but doing it with caution themselves, it isn't THAT hard!!!
Old 13-06-2010, 10:28 PM   #28
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auturbo6
U should of been watching the rear mirror well before u stoped at the lights and got ure vehicle into a position where u wern't in the ambulances way....
Full stop the end......
That can not always happen especially if you are already sitting at ridiculously long red lights (as some are up here) and an ambulance comes belting down with lights and sirens blaring. Not all emergency vehicles are on the road just because they have been called to an emergency, sometimes they are driving back from a job or whatever and they get the call. On go lights and sirens and no moving can happen easily..
Not sure if I explained what I am meaning correctly, sorry if I haven't
Old 13-06-2010, 10:41 PM   #29
BA Baracus
xls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auturbo6
Full stop the end......
No mate it was not an option on that stretch of road at all I am sorry , and I wasn't the car in the way. Settle down lad.
BA Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2010, 11:14 PM   #30
SVD

if i can move out of the way for an Emergency vehicle, i will, regardless if i curb a wheel or scratch my paint, as i'd like emergency vehicles to get to their destination ASAP because if it was me or someone i know/love i'd be wanting them to rock up ASAP!
SVD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post