Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-10-2008, 10:25 AM   #31
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Do you mean apart from giving you an extra hour of daylight?
For the majority, an extra hour of light in the morning is all but useless. Perhaps of the whole state just got up an hour early and opened their shops an hour early it might have some merit.... wow, that's be just like daylight savings... without moving the clocks.

I love DS, always have. As a kid my fondest memories include playing cricket in the street until 9pm, having a BBQ every other night because it was still light, going to the pool until late, riding my pushy for hours after school etc etc.

As an adult, having real time to work on the house/yard after work, wash the cars, go for long walks, ride the traily etc etc etc.

It has nothing to do with power saving for me, it's just extra time to do the things I want in an otherwise frantic and time-poor life.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #32
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I love DS, always have. As a kid my fondest memories include playing cricket in the street until 9pm, having a BBQ every other night because it was still light, going to the pool until late, riding my pushy for hours after school etc etc. As an adult, having real time to work on the house/yard after work, wash the cars, go for long walks, ride the traily etc etc etc. It has nothing to do with power saving for me, it's just extra time to do the things I want in an otherwise frantic and time-poor life.
:

Completely agree
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #33
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
For the majority, an extra hour of light in the morning is all but useless. Perhaps of the whole state just got up an hour early and opened their shops an hour early it might have some merit.... wow, that's be just like daylight savings... without moving the clocks.

I love DS, always have. As a kid my fondest memories include playing cricket in the street until 9pm, having a BBQ every other night because it was still light, going to the pool until late, riding my pushy for hours after school etc etc.

As an adult, having real time to work on the house/yard after work, wash the cars, go for long walks, ride the traily etc etc etc.

It has nothing to do with power saving for me, it's just extra time to do the things I want in an otherwise frantic and time-poor life.
We all get what DLS is, I grew up with it. The point was for Qld it doesnt suit the entire state. Just ask your boss to allow everyone to start work an hour earlier. Yeah yeah I know wont happen, if it was important to enough people, it could be that simple though.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 02:40 PM   #34
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006

Agree completely, on a day shift I start at 7am and finish at 7pm, an extra hour would give me some time during daylight to go for a ride with my family etc, at the moment I can not. I fail to see how it changes what farmers do just because the cows like to be milked at the same time. When dealing with animals you live according to the sun, not your watch, I know as I grew up on a wheat/sheep farm. Personally I think it is red neck QLD afraid of change, I mean this is a state that believes fluoride is a government conspiracy to maintain mind control over the population.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:10 PM   #35
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Agree completely, on a day shift I start at 7am and finish at 7pm, an extra hour would give me some time during daylight to go for a ride with my family etc, at the moment I can not. I fail to see how it changes what farmers do just because the cows like to be milked at the same time. When dealing with animals you live according to the sun, not your watch, I know as I grew up on a wheat/sheep farm. Personally I think it is red neck QLD afraid of change, I mean this is a state that believes fluoride is a government conspiracy to maintain mind control over the population.
As an ex cocky's son you are also aware that it is not the animals that care, nor the farmers. It is the whingers driving the trucks, working in the milk depots etc that are the problem. THEY have to work the different hours to their drinking buddies and complain just as loud as those who live in Brisbane (and think they represent the thoughts of all Queenslanders even though they are closer to Sydney than most other Queensland cities).
But that is just part of it, everyone suffers enough in summer without having the play with the clocks so the public servants can get an extra hour of tennis in.

It is easy to work it out for your self.

Look up first light and last light in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Cairns and Mt Isa on random dates in winter and summer.
Compare the differences in each place between the winter and summer times, the length of the days and the differences on the same day between each place for both winter and summer.

http://www.reidheliwork.com.au/html/.../preflight.php

That is a link for you to use, times are UTC but will show you relativity.
Tulla is YMML, Mascot is YSSY, Kingsford Smith is YBBN, Cairns is YBCS and Mt Isa is YBMA.

After that look up the UV, OAT and weather patterns, an extra hour of leisure time to hide from storms on the days when it is not too hot to walk outside is always welcome.

Once you see the real data it becomes very obvious why daylight saving is not implemented in QLD and NT.

P.S. When I googled "red neck" I got a pic of me standing next to you.......

P.P.S. Mt Isa is just to demonstrate the longditudinal issues, Darwin shows the lattitudinal differences even more strongly.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 06:08 PM   #36
v8 tc

Quote:

I think you are the red neck if you like dls so much you don't have to come to qld
v8 tc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #37
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
As an ex cocky's son you are also aware that it is not the animals that care, nor the farmers. It is the whingers driving the trucks, working in the milk depots etc that are the problem. THEY have to work the different hours to their drinking buddies and complain just as loud as those who live in Brisbane (and think they represent the thoughts of all Queenslanders even though they are closer to Sydney than most other Queensland cities).
But that is just part of it, everyone suffers enough in summer without having the play with the clocks so the public servants can get an extra hour of tennis in.

Look up first light and last light in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Cairns and Mt Isa on random dates in winter and summer.
Compare the differences in each place between the winter and summer times, the length of the days and the differences on the same day between each place for both winter and summer.

Tulla is YMML, Mascot is YSSY, Kingsford Smith is YBBN, Cairns is YBCS and Mt Isa is YBMA.

After that look up the UV, OAT and weather patterns, an extra hour of leisure time to hide from storms on the days when it is not too hot to walk outside is always welcome.

Once you see the real data it becomes very obvious why daylight saving is not implemented in QLD and NT.

P.P.S. Mt Isa is just to demonstrate the longditudinal issues, Darwin shows the lattitudinal differences even more strongly.
You would think, that with the 'why not have DLS' crowd having an argument that 'rednecks' just dont want to change or ignorance, they at least would try to understand why DLS is not wanted by most of north/western Qld. They dont face the same set of circumstances.

All this nonsense about cows upset etc, Ive never heard it from a farmer except in interviewing of some buffoon semi balanced on a bar stool, and even then it is only a sound bite, never the lead up to the question.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 08:12 PM   #38
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 td
I think you are the red neck if you like dls so much you don't have to come to qld
Now there's a balanced and concise argument if I ever saw one. Are there shades of red?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 09:36 PM   #39
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:

Fishing here is really good, I knew you would bite! :

Seriously though, what is the population % that live in Brisbane? If those that had jobs that did not revolve around primary industry, lived in the Brisbane, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast area thought about the benefits, we would have DLS, rural QLD would lose due to the distribution of QLD population.

Besides, it is not just public servants that want it. The average Australian is working longer hours on average and this is the private sector included. Many businesses would support DLS due to parity in timing between all states on the eastern seaboard and the positive effect this will have on their ability to deal with interstate corporations during business hours. Under the present system there is a 1 hour disparity during summer, meaning some business that comes up at the end of the day in Brisbane has to wait until the next day to be dealt with by a Vic or NSW company.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #40
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

If the Southern states didn't change the time in the first place there would be parity in timing between the eastern seaboard!!

How do people deal with businesses in Perth or London
Just ring them when they are open
Not rocket science
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:15 PM   #41
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
That's not completely silly though.

There are peak periods of sunlight, though I can't recall the exact hours (I thought they were around 1-2pm which makes the following wrong...) However, I recall reading a study that suggests moving the clock forward exposed kids to experience those hours during their lunch time.
Well on this argument really is silly, here is why.

On normal time, kids have lunch at around 12pm which is close to the peak sun period according to your memory. I think the hottest part of the day is actually between 10-2. Army operations and training on occupational health actually state to limit unnecessary operations between 10 and 2 in hot environments. I have operated in many environments even closer to the equator (Bougainville, PNG etc) than any australian soil, between 10 and 2, forget strenuous activity if you can.

During DLS 12pm is actually really 11am (clocks moved forward an hour) so therefore their lunch break is earlier, but both times put the lunch hour in the hottest part of the day so therefore irrelevant argument.

I put it right up there with the other arguments out there, such as curtains fade, water evaporates, cows don't produce milk, milk sours, carpet fades, roosters crow too early etc

Quote:
Wow, I have been told

I am sure I will through away a career just because I like DLS, grow up!

Quote:
Now there's a balanced and concise argument if I ever saw one. Are there shades of red?
Must mean I am a pink neck, still working on red :

Last edited by geckoGT; 12-10-2008 at 10:29 PM.
geckoGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:41 PM   #42
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well on this argument really is silly, here is why.

On normal time, kids have lunch at around 12pm which is close to the peak sun period according to your memory. I think the hottest part of the day is actually between 10-2. Army operations and training on occupational health actually state to limit unnecessary operations between 10 and 2 in hot environments. I have operated in many environments even closer to the equator (Bougainville, PNG etc) than any australian soil, between 10 and 2, forget strenuous activity if you can.

During DLS 12pm is actually really 11am (clocks moved forward an hour) so therefore their lunch break is earlier, but both times put the lunch hour in the hottest part of the day so therefore irrelevant argument.

I put it right up there with the other arguments out there, such as curtains fade, water evaporates, cows don't produce milk, milk sours, carpet fades, roosters crow too early etc

Wow, I have been told

I am sure I will through away a career just because I like DLS, grow up!

Must mean I am a pink neck, still working on red :
Its not pink, it is purple and you are a menace
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 07:23 AM   #43
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Its not pink, it is purple and you are a menace
Nice play on words, you are a funny guy!
Now I just have to convince a certain person it is purple!

By the way, as for the "ex cocky's son", he is still a cocky and I am still a son so that makes me a cocky's son, get it right :