Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-11-2007, 02:37 PM   #31
EFXR6
Trev AKA Wolfy

OH, lol. nah, Im pretty sure his got an apprentice already.

Where do u live?
EFXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2007, 02:38 PM   #32
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

langy

No harm in asking though, never know how the other guy is working out

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2007, 02:42 PM   #33
EFXR6
Trev AKA Wolfy

Its his son i think :P lol.

But when we have been in there buying fuel people are always argueing and swearing n . So im not that enclined to go there.
Old 25-11-2007, 02:53 PM   #34
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

His son is maybe 6 , it may be his nephew though

Old 25-11-2007, 02:54 PM   #35
EFXR6
Trev AKA Wolfy

aww. my bad. But yeah. there always argueing n stuff. I dont really want 2 be in that enviroment when im learning
Old 25-11-2007, 02:57 PM   #36
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&D-KID
aww. my bad. But yeah. there always argueing n stuff. I dont really want 2 be in that enviroment when im learning
fair enough

Good luck

Old 25-11-2007, 03:23 PM   #37
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Take the advice of everyone here. I was in the exact same situation as you. Left school in year 10 because I hated it and was in search of a mechanical apprenticeship. I was born and breed in Victoria too so I know all about lack of licence at the age of 16. I Did my cert II in auto and another crappy course at Tafe to fill in the second half of the following year I left school as I hadn't found anything around and needed to fill in some time. Only had one interview which was at a local K-mart tyre and auto but i didn't get through.

I ended up deciding to go back to school the following year after dropping my CV off to every mechanical place I could think of in the Geelong area and only getting one interview with the local Ford dealership just to be told that in spite of my cert II they wanted a minimum of year 11. Anyway, 6 weeks after returning to (a different) school and settling in I got a call from the dealership saying they needed one more apprentice. Needless to say I took up the offer and the rest was History.

Everything was all dandy at the time, I had pov mates who were uni students, other mates doing further tafe studies, most who had no money and still didn't know what they wanted. As time went on, I had mates went on to do good things though. Their persistence at school payed off, and they were sliding into pretty good, secure well paying jobs - or atleast with potential to earn well. The problem is when you're 16 a few $100 a week seems like a shyte load compared to $20 pocket money. But you've got to think ahead and what $500 will mean in 10 years time, not what a first year apprenticeship wage can get you today.

The time past, I finished my apprenticeship. But i realised all too late that Mechanics wasn't going to get my by in life on both a financial and job fulfillment perspective. I needed something else, and discovered many things in life - many things that i realised needed year 12. I had the same view of being able to go back to school at any time and finish like you, but the practical reality was that my life circumstances had changed. I had moved interstate, committed to a mortgage and had a kid. I just couldn't afford to drop work and go study. Nothing stays the same, and nothing will lie waiting for you, thats why you've got to seize the moment when you have the chance. Nothing is ever impossible, but why not make it a whole lot easier now than having toalso find realise the hard way later.

Sorry about the long winded preach - my circumstances may or may not be relevant to you. You may love mechanics and also be content on earning a minimum wage in an industry with not many options to go up further. The future is in your hands mate, make sure you choose wisely. Another thing to note is that jobs, especially in this industry may become harder to find now with a change of government....

Good luck

Eamon

Last edited by Cobra; 25-11-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2007, 03:31 PM   #38
EFXR6
Trev AKA Wolfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Take the advice of everyone here. I was in the exact same situation as you. Left school in year 10 because I hated it and was in search of a mechanical apprenticeship. I was born and breed in Victoria too so I know all about lack of licence at the age of 16. I Did my cert II in auto and another crappy course at Tafe to fill in the second half of the following year I left school as I hadn't found anything around and needed to fill in some time. Only had one interview which was at a local K-mart tyre and auto but i didn't get through.

I ended up deciding to go back to school the following year after dropping my CV off to every mechanical place I could think of in the Geelong area and only getting one interview with the local Ford dealership just to be told that in spite of my cert II they wanted a minimum of year 11. Anyway, 6 weeks after returning to (a different) school and settling in I got a call from the dealership saying they needed one more apprentice. Needless to say I took up the offer and the rest was History.

Everything was all dandy at the time, I had pov mates who were uni students, other mates doing further tafe studies, most who had no money and still didn't know what they wanted. As time went on, I had mates went on to do good things though. Their persistence at school payed off, and they were sliding into pretty good, secure well paying jobs - or atleast with potential to earn well. The problem is when you're 16 a few $100 a week seems like a shyte load compared to $20 pocket money. But you've got to think ahead and what $500 will mean in 10 years time, not what a first year apprenticeship wage can get you today.

The time past, I finished my apprenticeship. But i realised all too late that Mechanics wasn't going to get my by in life on both a financial and job fulfillment perspective. I needed something else, and discovered many things in life - many things that i realised needed year 12. I had the same view of being able to go back to school at any time and finish like you, but the practical reality was that my life circumstances had changed. I had moved interstate, committed to a mortgage and had a kid. Nothing stays the same, and nothing will lie waiting for you, thats why you've got to seize the moment when you have the chance. Nothing is ever impossible, but why not make it a whole lot easier now than having toalso find realise the hard way later.

Sorry about the long winded preach - my circumstances may or may not be relevant to you. You may love mechanics and also be content on earning a minimum wage in an industry with not many options to go up further. The future is in your hands mate, make sure you choose wisely. Another thing to note is that jobs, especially in this industry may become harder to find now with a change of government....

Cheers

Eamon
wow, Im seriously considering going back to school now. lol. Im still not sure though, Im thinking of maybe just doing year 11.

Thank you very much for that. It has made me think
Old 25-11-2007, 03:43 PM   #39
boss-290

Quote:

The time past, I finished my apprenticeship. But i realised all too late that Mechanics wasn't going to get my by in life on both a financial and job fulfillment perspective. I needed something else, and discovered many things in life - many things that i realised needed year 12. I had the same view of being able to go back to school at any time and finish like you, but the practical reality was that my life circumstances had changed. I had moved interstate, committed to a mortgage and had a kid. I just couldn't afford to drop work and go study. Nothing stays the same, and nothing will lie waiting for you, thats why you've got to seize the moment when you have the chance. Nothing is ever impossible, but why not make it a whole lot easier now than having toalso find realise the hard way later.

Good luck

Eamon
I agree with about 95% of that...

When you say "jobs, especially in this industry may become harder to find now with a change of government...."

I don't see this to be true. Is this because the Trade Unions will now be revived, thus scaring employers into not taking on apprentices?

Is it because now employers have to give the aussie workers a fair go, instead of dishing out AWAs?

Please elaborate on this comment.
boss-290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2007, 03:52 PM   #40
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

I think Cobra is spot on its good to always here from someone who has actually been down that path.

Just think you won't regret finishing school but there is a high chance you will regret not finishing school.

If you really want money go get a part-time job at McDonalds it wont be an impressive job to tell your mates about but you will earn cash while at school and you can start saving up some cash for tools for once you leave school and hit the apprenticeship
Old 25-11-2007, 04:23 PM   #41
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-290
I agree with about 95% of that...

When you say "jobs, especially in this industry may become harder to find now with a change of government...."

I don't see this to be true. Is this because the Trade Unions will now be revived, thus scaring employers into not taking on apprentices?

Is it because now employers have to give the aussie workers a fair go, instead of dishing out AWAs?

Please elaborate on this comment.
I should have shown some restraint when it came to a political opinion as this neither the time nor the place. I will not elaborate my personal views on this topic further in this thread. If you would like to ask me anything else please feel free to pm me.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #42
boss-290

Quote:
I should have shown some restraint when it came to a political opinion as this neither the time nor the place. I will not elaborate my personal views on this topic further in this thread. If you would like to ask me anything else please feel free to pm me.
No. I'll leave it at that.

Wolfy, if thats what you like to be called.. lol

Have you done any work experience in the trade? Perhaps that company in which you did work experience could help you out?
boss-290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2007, 04:38 PM   #43
kiwikyd

hey, got points put out there, and i wish i could go back to school and I am to a point, i walked out on an apprentership as it was in a place that didnt have the facilities to get me through the technical stuff and a few other things and wished i had finished or atleast stayed at school a bit longer so if you can yr11 atleast is something that you can fall back on even if you dont need it later you still have it
kiwikyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #44
EFXR6
Trev AKA Wolfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-290
No. I'll leave it at that.

Wolfy, if thats what you like to be called.. lol

Have you done any work experience in the trade? Perhaps that company in which you did work experience could help you out?
Yerp, G&D peformance cranbourne. I havnt had a chance to get back there yet, Thats why i said i will go in sometime this week.
Old 26-11-2007, 01:36 AM   #45
bigsamzef
98' EL XR6 manual

early next year ill be starting an apprenticeship, and after my apprenticeship is over im looking at studying mechanical engineering,
bigsamzef is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post