Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-10-2008, 04:59 PM   #31
shane3
FPV GT 0915

Well we've been home for about 3 hours, bathed, changed,feed her, burped her (She's a Palmer all right) and now she's crashed, got her in the lounge room while the wife and I watch bathurst. She's not a jumpy baby and we don't want to make the place to quiet.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 07:36 PM   #32
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane3
we don't want to make the place to quiet.
we done the same thing

if you make it a quiet place you wont have your time .....if you know what i mean

we didn't change the way we lived we are noisy buggers and so are our 2 others yes we have 3 kids

live you home life as you have always done

that is the best way for you and your wife to get rest

Grimus & Munchkin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 07:52 PM   #33
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

welcome to being parents. It will be the hardest, but most fulfilling thing you will ever do. treasure the good times, forget the rough, and enjoy the ride.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 09:49 PM   #34
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndArdAU
Congratulations! Time to Wet the Head!!

Thats why the baby happened!!

Congratulations you too, happy for you!

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 12:05 PM   #35
shane3
FPV GT 0915

Thanks to every one, It was great to be sitting on the couch watching Bathurst (way to go Lowlands and Whincup) and have my daughter asleep in my arms.

She's a great baby, doesn't cry if she has a dirty nappy and only wingers when she's hungry (feeding every 4/5 hours), undressing her to bath her is no problem, she just lays there and sucks on her finger's (we are not going to give her a dummy), she doesn't like having her arms wrapped up but as long as she's covered she's fine, she sleeps well, and we have to wake her to feed her most of the time.
Then again she is only 3 days old!
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
Old 13-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #36
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

congrats buddy well done to both you and your wife
Old 14-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #37
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

congrats ,100 and something days to go for ours
Old 14-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #38
shane3
FPV GT 0915

Sorry that I haven't been around we had to take Abby back for a bit of sun baking (jaundice) 20 hours under the lights and she seems okay now, a lot more lively and hungry (70 ml every 3 hours), the wife was really stressed but things are good now that we are back home and resting, nothing like sleeping on your own bed.
Old 14-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #39
rodderz

Quote:
Sorry that I haven't been around we had to take Abby back for a bit of sun baking (jaundice) 20 hours under the lights and she seems okay now, a lot more lively and hungry (70 ml every 3 hours), the wife was really stressed but things are good now that we are back home and resting, nothing like sleeping on your own bed.
yes dont stress, this is exactly what happened to ours, it's pretty common. Missus got upset but it's good the docs make sure all is ok.

After 4 weeks or so they go through a growth spurt and dont sleep for long so get sleep while the going is ok!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 06:18 PM   #40
shane3
FPV GT 0915

Staying in the ward last night, with all the baby crying didn't worry me at all, BUT if you would have placed me there 2 weeks ago I would have gone mad, It's amazing how having one of your own changes every thing, I didn't believe it but it does.
I knew what was going on just that the wife is bit of a worry wort, just like her mum.
Old 14-10-2008, 06:21 PM   #41
rodderz

Yes it's like that. I used to hate holding kids, I wanted nothing of it. Now it's nothing, and you throw them round like a footy (in a non-rough way)

Now wait for the 1000 pairs of booties, jumpsuits and dummies to arrive from long-lost relies in the mail
Old 15-10-2008, 01:36 AM   #42
shane3
FPV GT 0915

well its 1:30 am and I have her asleep on my left shoulder (finally) and typing one handed, the wife is in bed asleep, as soon as I lay Abby down she starts screaming due to gas/reflux, thank god for a comfy computer chair, she has downed 135ml of formula within an hour and was still hungry......the nurse on call said it may be due to the jaundice as well as being dehydrated from being under the UV lights for 20 hours it's now 1:36, 6 minutes to do this one handed!
Old 15-10-2008, 12:33 PM   #43
xr8chick
HSV - I Just Ate One!

Congrats, she's reallly cute

I got to sunbake when I was born as well, not sure if my parents worried though. =|

Now you get to look foward to all the clothes, booties and everything that people are gonna send, even if it's 3 sizes to big for her!!
Old 15-10-2008, 01:29 PM   #44
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Congrats Shane, this really is a special time in your life, don't ever forget that.

Just remember to be nice to your wife, and vice versa, so make time for yourselves. Newborns are very demanding, and you will go through sleepless nights and stuff. But if you work as a team and communicate well, then you'll remember this time as a very special time in your life which will actually bring you closer as a couple (hence why I have 2 girls so close together!!!)

Congrats, and enjoy!!!
PS. Nothing beats the feeling of a baby falling asleep on your shoulder does it?
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2008, 11:01 AM   #45
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Congrats to your new family.

Dehydration will make her want to guzzle her milk but make sure its not coming out too fast. That will give her a belly ache too. My three all had reflux & its not fun. Not sure if they still sell gripe water but was a godsend for me. Wouldn't give it to her just yet though, maybe in a week or two (thats if you can still get it at all....)

Give her a firm but gentle belly rub with some nice lavender oil and that should help to calm her down (lavender is a relaxing scented herb). At the same time soothing the sore belly. (will get the gasses moving if you know what I mean ;) )

Best rule of thumb I suggest to all new parents, when they sleep you sleep !!!!! Is the only way to be semi sane through the initial period of getting used to each other ;)

Ohhhh & if as I assume you are, feeding by bottle ...... don't listen to some of the crap you will get from the mother care nurses ....... I had to feed all my children by bottle and it has never hurt them!!!!!!!!
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2008, 01:07 PM   #46
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yup Gripe water is still available

It can be found in the baby isle at you local supermarket

Grimus

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 16-10-2008, 08:07 PM   #47
shane3
FPV GT 0915

Hi guy's well we have worked out that she has reflux, we have given her a dummy (this helps produce more saliva and dilutes the stomach acid), we have also placed a wedge under her mattress to elevate her head and also figured out that she has VERY sensitive skin (just like the wife).
So after some advice from the nurse on call at every nappy change we were told to wash her front and back clean (due to very acidic urine) smother her in cream and a bit of powder and she should be fine, we tried this last night after 3/4 hour of her crying and not settling and with in 3 minutes she was asleep, so this is now part of the routine, she slept for 4 1/4 hours, woke at 4 30 AM, had a feed, a bottom wash, nappy change and then slept through to 8 AM. this is not a steep learning curve this is straight up.
Old 16-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #48
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hi guy's well we have worked out that she has reflux, we have given her a dummy (this helps produce more saliva and dilutes the stomach acid), we have also placed a wedge under her mattress to elevate her head and also figured out that she has VERY sensitive skin (just like the wife).
So after some advice from the nurse on call at every nappy change we were told to wash her front and back clean (due to very acidic urine) smother her in cream and a bit of powder and she should be fine, we tried this last night after 3/4 hour of her crying and not settling and with in 3 minutes she was asleep, so this is now part of the routine, she slept for 4 1/4 hours, woke at 4 30 AM, had a feed, a bottom wash, nappy change and then slept through to 8 AM. this is not a steep learning curve this is straight up.
great to know you found the reason ( not problem ) of your bubs not sleeping well

it is a learning curve but it is also a staight up way of learning your baby and what she needs and wants

keep going the way you are and you will have have a great child on your hands

i have 3 that i would never trade for anything not that it has been easy sailing with them ( do a search for threads started by me ) but as i said i wouldnt trade it for the world

keep your head up and you will do it all well with no probs well done again

Grimus

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 16-10-2008, 10:55 PM   #49
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Glad to hear that you solved an issue. It's a great feeling once you work out what calms and soothes your child, you've obvioulsy found it. Whatever works.....
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2008, 11:04 PM   #50
StookEB

CONGRATULATIONS, I'm really excited for you (really I am).

I'd love to be a father and I've been told that I would be be a great parent.

BUT I dont think I'd ever be ready for it (if thats possible).
Old 16-10-2008, 11:48 PM   #51
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by EArulz

BUT I dont think I'd ever be ready for it (if thats possible).
I think a lot of blokes feel that way. If i had my way I would of waited longer to get my business more established, do up house more etc but where do you stop and are you ever ready?

I started thinking about how old I would be as a father when the kids are growing up, and how much easier it'd be having kids when you aren't too old. Might be a bit hard to chase them around the yard playing footy when your back is half buggered, or at their 21st and your too old to keep up with them in the drinking stakes!

Once it's born you're as pleased as punch!
Old 17-10-2008, 08:11 AM   #52
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good job in finding out what soothes Abby so early. It took me ages for my first.

You will get lots of advise from all quarters, some of us cant help ourselves :P Do what you know is right for all three of you.

Your doing a great job as first time parents, congrats to both of you
Old 17-10-2008, 08:27 AM   #53
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

Congratulations and welcome to the world Little Abby, Jaundice and reflux are normal mate, I was smiling when reading your posts as it reminds me of what we went through with our first...A good friend of mine said to me when my first arrived that the first 3 months would be the toughest, he was right, so the same words are passed on you'll be cruising in 3 months, enjoy watching her grow and Congratulations once again
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2008, 09:51 PM   #54
shane3
FPV GT 0915

Hi finally got a chance to get back on the PC, we have put her on the anti reflux formula (it's cot corn starch in it) and it's been fantastic, we had some trouble last night and she cried for about 4 1/2 hours, she would be okay for 10 minutes the cry for about 20, she had a lot of gas and I spent most of that time rubbing her belly, she would fall asleep laying on her side but as soon as she is on her back she would start crying again, so we had her in the bed on her side all ticked in and safe and we (all 3 of us) finally got 5 hours sleep,
The doctor said this was normal as they have just spent the last 9 months inside of you (meaning the wife) and still crave that skin on skin touch, sitting on the couch with my top off Abby will go to sleep with in 10 minutes of having a feed then into her crib and sleep of the next 3 to 4 hours (that why I'm on here ATM) things you learn!
Old 21-10-2008, 08:42 PM   #55
shane3
FPV GT 0915

Well I'm ment to be back at work in the morning but the wife isn't going to well, the traumatic birth (having Abby pulled out of her) has hit home, she's not sleeping even though Abby is and is emotional about all most every thing......the good old baby blue's, I will have to stay with her and go and see the doctor about this, (her mum hasn't helped thing's either) with all the fussing thats been going on, I ready to tell her if she doesn't back off thing will only get worse.
She's been around every day and acting as if Chris has had both of her legs cut off with a chain saw.
Old 21-10-2008, 10:46 PM   #56
rodderz

Hang in their mate, tough times ahead but it's all part of it. It's funny reading it as everyone must be the same.

It'll be testing around week 4-5 as well as they put on a growth spurt and only settle for a couple of hours before the waterworks. Ours is on the tail end of it now, the missus is happier she was only getting 2 hrs sleep last week per night. I have been that buggered from work I've slept through all of it!
Old 22-10-2008, 07:55 AM   #57
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is a traumatic time but she obviously has your full support and will get through this. I didnt have problems with my mother but my mother inlaw was an absolute witch with a capital B!!!!!!!

The medical profession has come a long way with dealing with the 'blues' these days & you are doing the right thing taking Chris to the doctors.

It is so nice to see such a loving and supportive hubby like you. Chris is a lucky gal.
Old 27-10-2008, 10:35 PM   #58
shane3
FPV GT 0915

Well I've taken a couple of extra days off (back to the slave pit on Wednesday) Christine just wants to get things right the first time and not turn out like her mum...(Her mum thinks the world will implode if an ant farts) so I set up the camera on the book shelf with out her knowing and let it run for 4 hours, then played it back to her....a real eye opener for her, her comment was "god I have become my mum!"
I keep telling her that we can only do the best we can and NO ONE gets it right the first time, we spent about 5 hours talking to other mums and dads at this play group thing (most of them are first time parents) and we have figured out we are doing a pretty good job so far, we have the reflux under control (most of the time) and have picked up a lot of tips and tricks on how to deal with problems from other parents.
It's amazing that having a baby with you is like an open invite to allow anyone talk to you about anything baby related.