Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-11-2007, 04:14 PM   #31
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I thought RAAF were Oxygen Thieves or Uniformed Public Servants. hehe

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 05:06 PM   #32
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpTrader
Don't they fix sick animals? kidding buddy.
Yeah! .. well they need a job for when they retire don't they?

:
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 05:07 PM   #33
XRNIL8

One of the more interesting names for the Cooks ..... Catering Corps ..... Tucker F@^kers ... Fitters and Turners ..... ah the good old days ... lmao.

Reminds me of one fantastic day at the School of Infantry, Singo ..... The Platoon I was in were the only Platoon on base this particular week, so there was only one Mess open and just one cook on ....... for dinner. Poor bastard busted his guts out preparing what I was told was a great meal for us all (46 blokes). Unfortunately for this cookie monster, he had ago at one of the other diggers at breakfast which we all believed to be unneccessary and we conspired to p!ss him off. Hahahaha!!!

We all turned up for lunch ... and made it clear that we were all coming for Dinner ...... come dinner time ..... one digger went for dinner, the rest of us made our own plans and ate in town at Singleton! Pizza was a popular choice.

Come parade next morning, our Platoon Sgt fair dinkum goes off .... I have had this F'n cooks *** tearing my ears off ........ I wanna know what happened and where each and everyone of you ate last night ..... so one by one ...w e told our Sgt where we ate and what we ate and why ..... with just one bloke saying he ate at the mess .... our Sargent steps back and says ....... You blokes ...... are friggin champions ..... that is what team work and sticking up for your mates is all about .... and to have one digger go and eat there ... f@rken funny...... but don't let me hear it happening again!!!!

Damn I miss that stuff ......

can also be found at

www.CVMotorsport.com
The new home of Motorsport in Central Victoria
XRNIL8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 06:59 PM   #34
XlR8TED

Not a common name, but more of a joke...

Some people refer to RAAFies as Penguins...because only 1 in 1000 fly. :
XlR8TED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 07:05 PM   #35
bowsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPN XR6T
Buckethead is now a term reserved for M113 crewman, seeing that now Armored Corps has multiple Vehicles and roles. Navy still refer to to AJ's as pongos, but I'm not sure that RAAF have any other nickname other than RAAF'ies, more to the point do they even rate a nickname?
Being in the RSL, the new guard i might add, RAAFies cop the most , one thing pussers cant be called, is REMF or Pogues whatever theyre called now, we were all on a warship, from Stewads to gunners, etc, all in the same place, no one was in the rear with us, waits the rear jokes lol.
bowsaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 07:48 PM   #36
Envious
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Being a currrent serving member of the RAR i can tell you the term 'digger' is alive and well, and we all wear it with pride. Being referred to as a Digger reminds me every time of the legacy we are carrying on from the true diggers of WWI/WWII and always makes me proud to serve.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:51 PM   #37
bowsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious
Being a currrent serving member of the RAR i can tell you the term 'digger' is alive and well, and we all wear it with pride. Being referred to as a Digger reminds me every time of the legacy we are carrying on from the true diggers of WWI/WWII and always makes me proud to serve.
Indeed, hope your not 5/7 RAR, god we had problems with those fellas, hahaha, and the officers to. Or do you have knee probs, 3RAR.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #38
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I was in a support coy - recon/sniper pl in 6 rar in brisbane. Everyone was inferior to us (in our young minds).

We used to have ruger mini 14's and SKK's in the barracks..... in hindsight that was a bit dodgy.
BTW AJ = Army jerk.
"We also used to use he phrase "pogue" to decribe anyone that wasnt a frontline type (blanket counters etc...)

We used to laugh at the RAAF ground defence troops when they came to us to learn about the parker hale.

I think anyone who serves in the defence for the right reasons is a bloody legend.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:01 PM   #39
mad machs
politically incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
What are you in?
Work for Her Majestys Royal Airforce at the moment, but not for much longer.

A few more RAF ones-

Squippers = survival equpment

Bomb heads= Aircraft armourers

Cabbies = MT

Erk= any ground crew
Old 04-11-2007, 10:36 PM   #40
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Don't know if it has always been the case, but soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan seem to now always be referred to as "Diggers"?

I don't think it's the right word for the modern day soldier? Can't really explain it, just doesn't seem right?

Sorta like disrespecting the real "diggers"??

Curious what others think?
You could call then "desert rats" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...oured_Division) but I'd prefer diggers.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 11:22 PM   #41
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad machs
Work for Her Majestys Royal Airforce at the moment, but not for much longer.

A few more RAF ones-

Squippers = survival equpment

Bomb heads= Aircraft armourers

Cabbies = MT

Erk= any ground crew
Was working in Chippenham in Sept/Oct 05 on a course. As I sat in the class room a number of VC10s swooped in one after the other along with some Hercs heading for RAF Lyneham to land. What a sight.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2007, 01:25 PM   #42
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
I could be wrong but... i think it only started happening in the last 5 or 10 years. I don't really think its disrespectful to anyone, but i think the current guys and girls deserve their own nicknames.
Quote:

I'd have to disagree. In fact, I see it as remembering the tradition of the original diggers, and honouring thier memory.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2007, 01:36 PM   #43
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

Any digger serving overseas = respect from my point of view.

My father in law was in the Royal Marines. When I first met him I asked him what it entailed and he said "going round the world killing people for 'er majesty". (He's a pom who talks like Parker from the Thunderbirds).

Subsequently he enlighted me a little more...my God what they went through.

Respect isn't a strong enough word for anyone in a military uniform putting their lives on the line to help or save others.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:00 PM   #44
colossus
Secret Sleuth

Quote:
Don't know if it has always been the case, but soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan seem to now always be referred to as "Diggers"?

I don't think it's the right word for the modern day soldier? Can't really explain it, just doesn't seem right?

Curious what others think?
I actually agree with you. To me a "digger" is an Aussie soldier who fought it out in WW1 or WW2. I do find it kind of disrespectful to call soldiers diggers when they havn't fought in a war - e.g. calling an 18 year old kid straight out of infantry school a digger when he's done nothing to earn that name. This is just my opinion it does not mean I don't respect our current soldiers (I have tonnes of respect for them) just that I don't think the use of that term is appropriate.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:18 PM   #45
suttoinc
The Phantom Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
I could be wrong but... i think it only started happening in the last 5 or 10 years. I don't really think its disrespectful to anyone, but i think the current guys and girls deserve their own nicknames.

That could be because there was a very long time between Vietnam and East Timor where Australian soldiers did not serve overseas in great numbers.
suttoinc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2007, 02:32 PM   #46
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
So the Airforce and Navy need names of thier own. I mean, you dont exacly dig a trench in the air or at sea do you?
Steve
I spent 20 years in the RAAF and I can tell you I dug my share of gun pits. I was at 35Sqn in Townsville and we went bush more often than most grunts.

BTW Grunt = anyone in the Army as far as the Airforce was concerned.

I served on a peace keeping force and we had Army Navy and Airforce as well as Kiwi Airforce and Army (And ANZAC Unit). The Dutch General in charge used the term Australian Diggers to refere to Australian contigent as a group.

The thing to remember here is that our forces overseas are made of of all 3 branches of service. Also note that our SAS do take members from RAAF and Navy not just the Army.
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2007, 05:25 PM   #47
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowsaw
Always thought Armoured were bucketheads? When i was in Pussers, Army was Pongoes, RAAF was Penguins ( because only 1 in 10 000 can fly).
In NZ armoured are Turretheads and infantry = Grunt/Cabbages
Old 05-11-2007, 06:37 PM   #48
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Always thought Armoured were bucketheads? When i was in Pussers, Army was Pongoes, RAAF was Penguins ( because only 1 in 10 000 can fly).
The RAAF is the only real smart service. In the Army the troops go and fight. In the Navy the troops and officers go and fight. In the RAAF we send the officers to fight.
Lotus Trooper.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:26 PM   #49
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowog
I spent 20 years in the RAAF and I can tell you I dug my share of gun pits. I was at 35Sqn in Townsville and we went bush more often than most grunts.

BTW Grunt = anyone in the Army as far as the Airforce was concerned.

I served on a peace keeping force and we had Army Navy and Airforce as well as Kiwi Airforce and Army (And ANZAC Unit). The Dutch General in charge used the term Australian Diggers to refere to Australian contigent as a group.

The thing to remember here is that our forces overseas are made of of all 3 branches of service. Also note that our SAS do take members from RAAF and Navy not just the Army.
Listen Mate, do not think for one second I was having a go at the RAAF. Just read this:

Quote "In the European Theatre of World War II, RAAF personnel were especially notable in RAF Bomber Command: they represented two percent of all RAAF personnel during the war, but accounted for 23% of the total number killed in action. This statistic is further illustrated by the fact that No. 460 Squadron RAAF, mostly flying Avro Lancasters, had an official establishment of about 200 aircrew and yet had 1,018 combat deaths. The squadron was therefore effectively wiped out five times over." end quote.

If it wasnt for them and the rest of Bomber Command I would be doing the goose step. Bomber Command is the ONLY arm of the services that did not get a campaign medal of any sort during WW2. What a tradgedy.

And you should be proud of your service.

I still hold the view that a Digger is an Australian Infantry Man. Just my opinion, you dont have to agree with it. I belive the RAAF deserves a nick name of its own.

Steve

Last edited by JG66ME; 05-11-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:04 AM   #50
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Listen Mate, do not think for one second I was having a go at the RAAF. Just read this
Steve
I didnt think that at all I was just pointing out that some people in the RAAF had to do it hard at times just like the grunts.

The "Digger" name well you are entitled to your view.

But I have been part of a contigent that was (as a group) refered to as Diggers and ANZACS. Google MFO.
Lotus Trooper.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:52 AM   #51
bowsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
You could call then "desert rats" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...oured_Division) but I'd prefer diggers.
That term is for Tobruk veterans only, my Grandfather is one, also won the MM there as well. Go 2/11. They are Diggers and will always be known as that, are the people who think otherwise, ex-servicemen? not being nasty, just like to know??????
Old 07-11-2007, 09:55 AM   #52
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That term is for Tobruk veterans only, my Grandfather is one, also won the MM there as well. Go 2/11. They are Diggers and will always be known as that, are the people who think otherwise, ex-servicemen? not being nasty, just like to know??????
Minnor clarification.

The "Desert Rats" (mentioned in VZRT post) was a British Army formation, the 7th Armoured Division.

The unit you are refering to is the "Rats of Tobruk" who deffended the garrison during the Siege of Tobruk. This unit was mainly Australian (over 50%)with a British Armourd Brigade (the 3rd), Indians and Pollish troops along with some Royal Navy personel.

These unoffical titles both belonged to units fighing in North Africa and often get confused.

I see no reason why the Australian units that have linage to those units that took part in the deffence of Tobruk and have this action on thier Regimental or Queens Colours as battle honours cannot revive the name or moniker, as the British have done with the 7th Armoured Brigade now know as the Desert Rats.

Steve
Old 07-11-2007, 06:47 PM   #53
scoupedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
If you want to get technical the word Digger was apparently was first used by New Zealanders.
I read that the miners from WA at Gallipoli how were sapping the new trenches out into no mans land first used it never heard of Kiwis being first...and i must have read about 20 books on Gallipoli and about 40 on first world war...

As far as being called Diggers if your an aussie Soldier i.e Army and been shot at somewhere then "how ya going dig?" is OK if you havn't served in a combat area then your just a AJ
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2007, 06:54 PM   #54
scoupedy

Quote:
Minnor clarification.

"Rats of Tobruk" who deffended the garrison during the Siege of Tobruk. This unit was mainly Australian (over 50%)with a British Armourd Brigade (the 3rd), Indians and Pollish troops along with some Royal Navy personel.

Steve
The british supplied the RHA (royal horse artillery: sh@t hot arty) and the Royal horse tanks as well, the polish and Indians relieved the Aussies. the british supplied most of the tanks, arty, ak ak, and some anti tank. all the front line troops were skips and the name 'Rats of Tubruk was given to them by lord haw haw (british scum bag that went to germany at start of war and had a radio program)
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2007, 10:36 PM   #55
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoupedy
The british supplied the RHA (royal horse artillery: sh@t hot arty) and the Royal horse tanks as well, the polish and Indians relieved the Aussies. the british supplied most of the tanks, arty, ak ak, and some anti tank. all the front line troops were skips and the name 'Rats of Tubruk was given to them by lord haw haw (british scum bag that went to germany at start of war and had a radio program)
Yup, thats it.