Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 02-05-2007, 07:20 PM   #31
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
OK, well if your just after a quick streeter that will handle the occasional track day I'd go straight for an ED sprint. Lighter, with a much more powerful engine and with just bolt on mods they absolutely fly.

My mate had an EF II XR8 and while it was a damn nice car it would have needed a stack of work to even hold a candle to a sprint.
I agree 100%

Your intentions were not completely clear at the start. You can pick up a sprint for around $15k.

That leaves alot of cash to be spent on some good stuff. Suspension and some good tyres would be first IMO.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 07:27 PM   #32
ProjectXR

I do appologise for not being clear in my first couple of post, would of saved a good couple of posts i guess.
I actually just found something in the for sale section i may be interested in, but if not a sprint sounds like an excelent choice.
I've been speaking to a suspension place in berwick who supply some of the v8 ute series cars with suspension and they can do a coil-over front with hight adjustment and lowered shocks and spring for the rear, then i might have to see whiteline for some adjustable sway bars. Suspension and tyres is definatly the first things being done.
I've also lined up some tyres, that were used for one commodore cup meeting from a tyre shop through my work (good price) so i just need to work on getting the car.
ProjectXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 07:32 PM   #33
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I agree 100%

Your intentions were not completely clear at the start. You can pick up a sprint for around $15k.

That leaves alot of cash to be spent on some good stuff. Suspension and some good tyres would be first IMO.
in that case why not just get a GLI?..

put a cam, the full top end off an au XR8, and upgrade the suspension and brakes, on a GLI, and he could have done it with the outlay of the sprint.

it'll be FAR cheaper for him to fix when he puts it off the track (non genuine EB headlights = $100 the pair if you shop right)...XR8 lights and fibreglass cowling?....
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 07:40 PM   #34
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
in that case why not just get a GLI?..

put a cam, the full top end off an au XR8, and upgrade the suspension and brakes, on a GLI, and he could have done it with the outlay of the sprint.

it'll be FAR cheaper for him to fix when he puts it off the track (non genuine EB headlights = $100 the pair if you shop right)...XR8 lights and fibreglass cowling?....
Yeah thats true, how hard is it to find a V8 ED Gli?

I guess you could then do a T56 conversion aswell, that would be sweet.

Or, perhaps get a EB XR8, atleast you have the engine and diff. Unless you are dead keen on a EF/EL I dont see the advantage over a EB if you are going to reqork everything anyway.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 07:43 PM   #35
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

As compared to a sprint's front end?

Why the assumption that on a track day he'll be damaging the front end anyway...

The advantage a sprint will have over a modified gli is one day the sprints will be rare enough to command a good resale.... as they are even now. A modified gli will always be worth half the price.
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 07:44 PM   #36
ProjectXR

I do prefer the EF/EL but if i can find a EB/ED I wouldn't say no
ProjectXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 07:56 PM   #37
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:

Why the assumption that on a track day he'll be damaging the front end anyway...
not meaning to use him as an example, but do you think kerry aka Tikfd6 thought he would be alright using his XR on a track day?...of course he did, till he found the tyrewall and had a fairly hard time finding a replacement XR front....

XR fronts are getting MUCH rarer these days to even the couple of years ago when that happened

fact of the matter is, if you take to the track, you risk stacking it.....

Quote:
as they are even now. A modified gli will always be worth half the price.
as will a race modified sprint IMO

Last edited by LUXO_8; 02-05-2007 at 08:01 PM.
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 08:02 PM   #38
Steady ED
Banned

Whether EA-ED/EF-EL, V8/I6, I wouldn't go spending big money on power if you are just starting out.
Do something simple with the brakes first, slotted rotors, good pads, braided lines, good fluid.
Spend a bit of money on the suspension, good shocks, whiteline swaybars, bit lower.
Good tires, stick with 16" rims at the beginning.
Get the LSD recoed.
Give the car a good service, change all fluids, get the rad flushed or get a new one, make sure everything is in tip top shape.
Go from there, thats a good base for the occasional track day.

Car choice, I'd get the first manual V8 within your budget that you see, regardless what it is.
Steady ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #39
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
not meaning to use him as an example, but do you think kerry aka Tikfd6 thought he would be alright using his XR on a track day?...of course he did, till he found the tyrewall and had a fairly hard time finding a replacement XR front....

XR fronts are getting MUCH rarer these days to even the couple of years ago when that happened

fact of the matter is, if you take to the track, you risk stacking it.....

as will a race modified sprint IMO
True with the risk... but there's just as much risk of seriously damaging the car, to the point where the front end is the least of your worries.

But if you read what he's saying, he doesn't want a pure race car, he wants a street car that will go hard on track days. I doubt getting decent brakes, suspention and extracting a bit more power from the engine would affect its resale. Good luck getting a gli with V8 AU running gear on the road for less than a sprints worth!
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post