Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-01-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
XRchic
Hello

Default Bushfires in Adelaide Hills!

In the Adelaide Hills over the last few weeks there has been a firebug. They have been lighting fires around the hills area deliberately over the last few weeks and its getting pretty out of control. Everyone is trying to catch whoever it is, but no success.

Fire patrols are out in force, rural residents are taking number plates on all cars in the areas but yet again, more fires have been lit.

Yesterday and today there has been a fire burning quite close to us in Mt Barker. It was deliberatel lit and most likely by the suspected firebug. It was lit in very dense bushland where access is difficult and also very dry, so the fire got out of control quite quickly.

We first got the idea something was going on when the street was covered in smoke and smelled very bad. Then we had ash falling from the sky, from a large smokey cloud over the town.

The fire was still burning this morning, and is still now, although it is under control. Its still smokey around here and the house still smells, but its better.

Here are some pics I took last night at dinner time of the smoke in our street and the orange colour.

I hope they catch him/her soon!!!

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 10:39 PM   #2
Doctor Sodways
South African Drift King

The people that are doing this are scum. One of my girlfriends friends has been affected by their stupidity, her house was about 5ks from the fire front this afternoon when i spoke to her, she had packed all her belongings in her car and was ready to leave work in an instant to help her folks at the house, i really do hope they catch them soon

WWW.BRASSMUNKYMEDIA.COM.AU
Doctor Sodways is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 11:12 PM   #3
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Take care over there guys... Fire bugs are the worst kind of vandal, and should karma work for us all, they'll get there's. Pretty bad in East Vic too, although we are fairly safe here in the west.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2007, 11:20 PM   #4
smally289
growing up is optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Sodways
The people that are doing this are scum. One of my girlfriends friends has been affected by their stupidity, her house was about 5ks from the fire front this afternoon when i spoke to her, she had packed all her belongings in her car and was ready to leave work in an instant to help her folks at the house, i really do hope they catch them soon

Is that the one near Kangarilla? I used to live there and have friends that still do.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 12:34 AM   #5
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bastards. My dad has to go off and fight those sorts of fires, even when he's meant to be on holidays over the festive season..

Not only are the fires a pain in the ****, they damage so much, including the environment.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 12:37 AM   #6
5L
[ 5L ]

even fires are being lit in suburbs. i live near the beach and 2 fires have been lit in a paddock in the past week. police are taking it serious and parked at the crime scene for around 3 hours afterwards, taking down every rego on cars that pulled up around the area.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 10:00 AM   #7
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

They all deserve to be rounded up and made to feel the fear that Adelaide Hills residents go through every day of summer. That's one of the reasons i moved out of the hills, it's a constant worry - especially when you work in town.

Here's a pic i took in woodside at sunset last night, looking towards mount bold. Noting that this is about 24 hours after the legends of the CFS got it under control.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:25 PM   #8
Doctor Sodways
South African Drift King

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally351
Is that the one near Kangarilla? I used to live there and have friends that still do.
I honestly cant remember exactly where she lives, it could be though

WWW.BRASSMUNKYMEDIA.COM.AU
Doctor Sodways is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 03:37 PM   #9
flavze

the worst thing is for some people knowing who it is but not being able to do anything about it till they actually are caught in the act lighting it.
There's the usual talk amongst the farmers about taking the law into their own hands but it's a big step from talking about it to actually doing it.

Last fire i went to at harrogate there was about 30 sheep walking around in varying mixtures of white to crispy black, most of them would have ended up being shot.

Intersting how that a few years ago there was a fire-bug around that area that used to get going every summer for a few years and but then it all went quiet when a certain resident moved to queensland. Quite a coincidence that he moved back into the area just last year.
flavze is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 08:56 PM   #10
XRchic
Hello

Apparently two houses have been lost, numerous cars and fences not to mention the livestock in the area. And those CFS guys work so hard every year in these situations. Thanks to some scumbag who thinks if fun to light the fires.

That cloud above was right over Mt Barker, thats what we have been breathing in for the last couple of day. Its smokey inside too, and the baby has irritated eyes and is coughing, generally not happy.

I hope the Vic fires get under control soon too, thats a big one. There are a lot of guys working hard to sort that one out too, from all over the place.

I hope no one on the forums is affected by the fire.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2007, 10:28 PM   #11
wheels260

Hope that the fire is out soon and the smoke clears up soon XRchic. My mum just told me before that a white commodore with 4 people in it have been seen lighting 8 different fires in the Dandenongs today which isn't far from my house, so it will be an interesting couple of days for us. The cops have been looking for them and the police helicopter was circuling the area just before. I hope these idiots get caught and get what they deserve!
wheels260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post